cmr
Bit Baby
cmr

Late 2011 Macbook Pro, 16GB memory installed, beeping, flashing sleep light, crashing

Hello everyone,

I wonder if anyone can advise the best course of action - I'm not sure quite how to proceed.

I've just received a 16GB RAM upgrade kit [as recommended by the Crucial memory scanner] and installed this on my late 2011 Macbook Pro - 2.5GHz Intel Core i7 [the one with the high res screen].

Something has gone wrong; hes is what happened:

- Installed the new 16GB RAM > started up Mac > started up successfully > crashed after approx 1min

- I then checked the RAM was installed correctly by reseating it, all looked fine

- Started up the Mac again > got grey screen + 3x beeps + flashing sleep light

- I removed the new memory and replaced with the old [which was working with no problems] > started up > same 3x beep + flashing light

- again, checked the RAM was installed ok > started up again > seems to be working fine now - no crash for the last 30 mins

Has anyone had any similar experience, or can anyone recommend the next step to try? Should I just send the RAM back to Crucial as faulty?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Chris.

Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

Re: Late 2011 Macbook Pro, 16GB memory installed, beeping, flashing sleep light, crashing

Hi cmr,

Thanks for your question.

First of all I'm sorry to hear that you had problems initially installing the memory in your system.  It does sound like when you installed it at first that it may have not been installed correctly.

Is the memory still working fine in the system?  All our memory has a lifetime warranty so if there is any faults we can exchange it no problem at all for you.  If the memory is still working fine then I would certainly say that it was originally an installation problem and you should have no further issues.

If you do, please contact the customer service team for your region using the links in my signature.  Please enjoy your upgrade and if you do need anything at all, please don't hesitate to ask and I would be more than happy to help. 

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service