Kilobyte Kid
bbao

Mac Pro with 64 GB memory takes 45s to boot from SSD

Hi There

I ordered 64 GB (8 x GB) memory module from Crucial and installed them on my Mac Pro Mid 2012. The memory type and model were given by the Crucial Memory Advisor Tool and confirmed by the online spport guys of Crucial, so I think they should be fully compatible with my Mac Pro.

Part Number: CT2KIT102472BD1339

Description: 16GB kit (8GBx2), 240-pin DIMM  Upgrade for a Apple Mac Pro (Mid 2012 - Dual Processor Systems) System

Qty: 4 CT3720440

The issue is the Mac Pro takes too long time to boot from SSD: 20 seconds silent with black screen after powering on, then Apple sound heared, 25 seconds grey screen, 30 seconds Apple logo, 45 seconds the logon menu appeared.

I am wondering if it is related to the 64 GB RAM, if Mac Pro will test the RAM before showing the Apple logo then the logon menu? Will it need that long time to test 64 GB memory?

Regards,

bbao

Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

Re: Mac Pro with 64 GB memory takes 45s to boot from SSD

Hi bbao,

First of all I'm sorry that your system is taking too long to boot.

I have looked in to this and sometimes when you change to an SSD you have to change the boot priority of your system. 

• Select System Preferences
  • Click on Startup Disk
  • Click on the newly installed SSD and select Restart

This will then set the SSD as the default drive, sometimes it can be searching for a different default drive which can slow down your system when booting. 

If this does not change the speed of your system booting I would recommend trying it with a lower amount of memory installed.  This is just to check if your other theory about the amount of memory causing the slow boot is true.

Please let us know how it goes and if there are any problems we are more than happy to help.

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Kilobyte Kid
bbao

in reply to Crucial_Junket

Hi Junket

Thank you for your feedback.

I have followed your steps to explicitly select the Startup Disk, though the SSD was the only disk available there under System Preferences | Startup Disk. Unfortunately there was no change to booting speed.

I have also tried removing the 64 GB Crucial memory and putting the 12 GB Apple memory back into the recommended memory slots, the speed of system booting reduced to 30 seconds, as the silent period before the Apple sound was shortened significantly.

Mac Pro does check system memory on board during the silent period? The monitor is always powered off during the period.

Any more hints?

Thanks,

bbao

Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

Hi bbao,

Thank you for your reply.

It does sound like the Mac Pro is doing a memory check similar to the way a PC does at start up.  I have had a look online to see if there is a way to turn this check off but have unfortunately not been able to find one.

It is possible that there is a setting to prevent this from happening but it's possibly something you may have to check with Apple themselves.  As long as the system is working great when it has booted I would not worry about it at all as we know the memory itself is not faulty it's just the system doing a quick memory check as the system starts.

Please let us know if you have any further questions at all and we would be more than happy to help.

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service