Memory Leak Geek
milosisforlovrs

MacBook memory

For my MacBook5,1, I want to buy an 8GB RAM kit but I see it is not available as an option. Why is that? Apple officially supports 4GB, but the MacBook is capable of accommodating 8GB of RAM. Please advise.

MacBook5,1 A1278 13" Alu late 2008

204-pin PC3-8500 1066 DDR3 SO-DIMM

Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

Re: MacBook memory

in reply to milosisforlovrs

Hi milosisforlovrs,

I would be more than happy to look in to this for you but before I do can you confirm the processor speed of your MacBook system?

We would need this to make sure we are recommending the exact memory for your model.  Once we have this information we can recommend the correct memory no problem at all.

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Memory Leak Geek
milosisforlovrs

[ Edited ]
in reply to Crucial_Junket

I gave you what I thought was a complete set of information regarding my MacBook, including generation model, Apple part number, display size, date of manufacture, even down to the correct, detailed memory specs, but you need my processor speed in order to reply?

OK then, here it is: 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.

Let's see what you can come up with. Hopefully, it'll be more than the canned reply I received from the support department.  :smileyhappy:

Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

in reply to milosisforlovrs

Hi milosisforlovrs,

Thanks for the information.

With Apple systems we list them by processor speed, screen size and year.  That's why I asked for the additional information as the details you provided could have matched a number of different systems.

I have had a look at this system and the maximum we recommend as compatible is 4GB.  We do test all our memory before recommending it and if it can support more we list it.  After testing we can confirm that it supports 4GB so we would not recommend 8GB for this model unfortunately.

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Memory Leak Geek
milosisforlovrs

in reply to Crucial_Junket

Yes, that's pretty much what the support department said. Not really what I was looking for, but thanks, anyway.

What I was really looking for in the forums was an actual MacBook user who has had crucial RAM purchased and tested. If a user who owns a MacBook just like mine were to tell me he/she used 8GB of RAM and it worked or didn't work, that'd really be helpful.

BTW, the most accurate way to list Mac systems would be by Apple's model number and/or generation model. So, MacBook5,1 and A1278 would be the best way to list or search for mac models. Any other way could lead to inaccuracies.