Kilobyte Kid
rydama

Problems with 8gb upgrade for 2011 macbook pro

I just bought this memory for my new 2.7ghz i7 13" macbook:

http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=E12AB11DA5CA7304

After installing, the computer won't book. It just beeps 3 times, over and over.

I tried removing and reinstalling, making sure the memory is seated correctly. Still doesn't work.

Anyone else having problems with this memory?

Bit Baby
tbrown8436

Re: Problems with 8gb upgrade for 2011 macbook pro

I just bought 1 15" MacBookPro...I can't even find the battery and it sounds like I'm going to wait a little be to see if you get an helpful answer

tom

Kilobyte Kid
rydama

Crucial was very helpful. Got some new memory to try right away. Bad news is that 1 of these 2 dimms is bad as well. So, out of 4 dimms, 3 don't work in my macbook. Maybe these new macbooks are sensitive, but I tried multiple times with each dimm, and only one of them works. The others give the 3 beeps or a single flash of the power light, then off. Maybe apple is charging $200 for this memory for a reason :-) (joke). The second set of dimms from crucial was the exact same brand as the stock dimms in the macbook pro.

Bit Baby
tbrown8436

I know - i looked at the $200 price and choked.  Did you have to retun the memory a few times??

thanks

tom

Kilobyte Kid
rydama

I returned both sets of memory to crucial and paid the $200 at the apple store. It's ridiculous, but I was out of time and energy for sending DIMMs back and forth.

Bit Baby
GentlemanGeorge

I'm experiencing the same problems, so this sounds common.  Thanks for even posting about it.  I've got some time to kill so, I plan on trying the exchange process until I lose my patience.  Worst case, there's an Apple Store down the street.

Bit Baby
donmontalvo

Yeah, me too. I bought a 2011 MacBook Pro 2.0 mhz (MacBookPro8,2), and the first thing I did was order an 8G upgrade kit from Crucial. I was getting all kinds of freezes, but I waited...Apple finally released 3 updates for video card, EFI, etc. Most of the hard freezes went away.

Now I get sudden freezes (maybe once a day) where the computer locks up and I get 3 beeps...wierd, since I've only ever heard 3 beeps on computers that were shut down (entirely; not rebooted) and started from cold state.

Ok, so at this point I think I'll need to RMA the 8G upgrade kit. I'm not upset, since Crucial has been EXCELLENT over the years. I'll post when I know for sure if the replacement chips worked. :smileyhappy:

Don

--
Don Montalvo, TX
http://linkedin.com/in/donmontalvo
Bit Baby
Spore

I am having the same problem with my 8Gb upgrade. The first time I installed it my computer acted strange; track pad wouldn't function, applications shutting down. Then upon restart the system became more unstable so I took the back cover off and removed the RAM and reinstalled it carefully (this is pretty simple stuff but I double checked anyway). When I powered on after the reinstall the system was unusable. I will be returning this RAM based on these posts. Seems some things need to be ironed out first.

Kilobyte Kid
RedGator

I went with the 8 GB upgrade for my brand new i5 13" MacBook Pro. Why did I choose Crucial? Because I always choose Crucial, and have never had a problem until now. I have installed plenty of RAM before, so the problem is not due to inexperience. When my first 8 GB kit caused my computer to crash (the dreaded "Shut your computer down" in the gray rectangle in four languages), I got an RMA from Crucial and returned the RAM, and they promptly sent me another 8 GB kit. Same problem. It works long enough (with both kits) that I can check "About this Mac" and it tells me I have 8 GB of RAM. But soon the problems begin. Programs start acting funky, and soon it crashes. It works perfectly with the original 4 GB of RAM. I assume Crucial will refund my money. I just don't think the RAM is compatible... I'd almost rather that be the case than to think Crucial is shipping this much bad RAM. I don't want to pay double for Apple's RAM, so I guess I'll just stay with 4 GB of RAM. It actually works quite well with that amount, but 8 GB should be better. Anyone out there have 8 GB installed that is working? Can you see a noticeable difference in performance?

Bit Baby
DJKEWU

Actually, I just installed the 8GB upgrade last week in my 2011 13" MacBook Pro and it's working beautifully......no complaints!