Binary Boss
Jungle

A good alternative to Ballistix MOD Utility

[ Edited ]

Hello!

Six months ago I purchased a pair of sticks of Balistix Tactical Tracer (Red/Green) 2GB memory. I like these cool DIMMs with LEDs very much. But the problem is that the native Ballistix MOD Utility is too buggy and looks poor for my preferences. For this reason, I developed my own BLT Controller utility. So far, the program is not capable of adjusting LED brightness, but looks great and tiny.

The download link is http://softnology.biz/files/bltctrl_11f.zip

Version 1.1 Final, 436KB.

The program does not require NET Framework to be installed and supports all Windows versions. LGA-2011 platform will be supported in the final release.

I hope you will find it useful.

Binary Boss
Jungle

Re: A good alternative to Ballistix MOD Utility

in reply to Jungle

Hello! 

Fortunatelly, I have got a chance to buy the Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3 motherboard with Intel Core i7-3820 LGA-2011 CPU. I installed my 2GB Ballistix Tracer module and ran the computer. Sadly, I found a compatibility issue trying to control DIMM LEDs via SMBus Controller of the CPU.

Well, the problem is not related to the X79 chipset as a Crucial rep claims. The problem is related to the integrated SMBus Controller of the LGA-2011 processor that cannot detect the SPD EEPROM chip of Ballistix Tracer modules for some reason. As the chip is not detected, software cannot control LEDs.

Binary Boss
Jungle

in reply to Jungle

I have just uploaded a new version of BLT Controller - http://softnology.biz/files/bltctrl_10f.zip

Although the new update supports SPD accessing via LGA-2011 SMBus Controller, this does not guarantee LED adjusting on X79 boards.

Bit Baby
NeoMatrixJR

in reply to Jungle

Jungle, can you post any info on how you wrote this?  I'm looking at creating my own utility as well.  I wanted some way to create some presets and have a notification icon that I can easily click and change presets (or disable LEDs alltogether.

Thanks!

Bit Baby
browner87

in reply to NeoMatrixJR

I second this. Plain source code would obviously be wonderful, but even a DLL with an exposed control API to do custom animations, etc would be wonderful!

Binary Boss
Jungle

Guys,Re: A good alternative to Ballistix MOD Utility

in reply to browner87

Guys, if you have never worked with SMBus and you don't know what that is, don't try to develope your own MOD alternative.

First, you have to develope your own 32/64-bit kernel mode driver to program memory-mapped SMBus Controller registers. Second, using Intel's documentation on Core i7/Xeon E5 LGA-2011 processors you have to write an algorithm to communicate with the SMBus Controller. Third, you have to know the undocumented LED programming technique developed by Crucial software engineers.

Sorry guys, but I would't like to create some problems to Crucial by posting here a source code of my program. I just want to find a solution on how to control LEDs on LGA-2011 platform.

Bit Baby
browner87

Re: Guys,Re: A good alternative to Ballistix MOD Utility

in reply to Jungle

Being a Computer Engineer I'd like to say I know all of that, but I'm afraid I don't. Most of my experience is with microcontrollers instead :smileysad:. I know enough to know I don't know enough. Hence my DLL suggestion :smileywink:

Nice work either way!

Memory Leak Geek
dryicex

in reply to Jungle

i have an asus rampage iv extreme mb, using win7pro 64bit

when i launch your application, you cant click anything.. 

theres also no 'x' close button.. i have to rightclick the program on the taskbar to close it.

is there any updates coming on this app?

trying to find a way to control my tracer lights.

Community Manager
Crucial_YogiH

in reply to dryicex

Hi dryicex,

I am sorry for the issues you have experienced with the Mod Utility. Has the Mod Utility ever worked for you or are you just trying to use it for the first time? Is everything working correctly with your RAM? What is the part number of the RAM? This number is found on the label and would be something like BLT8G3D1608DT2TXOB.16FER. Thank you in advance for this information.

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Memory Leak Geek
dryicex

[ Edited ]
in reply to Crucial_YogiH
This is a new build.  Never had MOD utility working.

Asus Rampage IV Extreme MB
Intel I7 4960x 
32gb of DDR-1866 RAM (8 sticks @ 4gb each)
(x2 dual-stick packs) BLT2KIT4G3D1869DT2TXRG
(x4 individual packs) BLT4G3D1869DT2TXOB

I'm starting to think this may be old stock of ram, and they only work now (no boot hangs) due to the bios update i did in the begining (in order for the mobo to recognize my I7 4960x chip).  But likely still incompatible for the computer to communicate with for the ballistix mod utility??

DIMM_A1 = BLT4G3D1869DT2TXRG.16FKD
DIMM_A2 = BLT4G3D1869DT2TXOB.16MFR
DIMM_B1 = BLT4G3D1869DT2TXRG.16FKD
DIMM_B2 = BLT4G3D1869DT2TXOB.16MFR 

DIMM_D2 = BLT4G3D1869DT2TXOB.16MFR
DIMM_D1 = BLT4G3D1869DT2TXRG.16FKD
DIMM_C2 = BLT4G3D1869DT2TXOB.16FKR
DIMM_C1 = BLT4G3D1869DT2TXRG.16FKD

The computer boots (no hangs), and the LED's light up in default BLUE or GREEN (depending on RAM color), and show default LED animation.