Kilobyte Kid
ZStationUK

Ballistix 1866MHz only does 1333MHz on SABERTOOTH

Folks,

I have an Asus SABERTOOTH 990FX R2 (latest BIOS), FX8320 Black, and a Crucial Ballistix 1866MHz kit (BLT2CP4G3D1869DT1TX0CEU)

I can't get it to run stable at all above 1333MHz.  Everything is fine at 1333, but at 1600 the machine will POST and run up Windows, but it's not 100% stable.  At 1866MHz it won't even POST.

The motherboard and CPU run fine with older Kingston HyperX Blu 1600MHz RAM @ 1866MHz, so I know it's the RAM that's the problem.

Any ideas?

Kilobyte Kid
ZStationUK

Re: Ballistix 1866MHz only does 1333MHz on SABERTOOTH

in reply to ZStationUK

Nothing?  Wow. :smileyfrustrated:

Crucial_Katana

in reply to ZStationUK

I'm sorry you didn't get a response to your thread. Since this is a peer-to-peer support forum we always like to wait a while before responding to threads, to give the community a fair chance to respond and offer help. If too much time passes without any responses, then one of us moderators will step in and reply, but not until then.

What do you have the memory voltage and timings set to in your BIOS? You may need to reconfigure the Ballistix modules a little bit, the values they default to may not be the optimal ones for stability and higher speeds. For the BLT2CP4G3D1869DT1TX0CEU part you have, we recommend these timings:

tCL =  9

tRCD = 9
tRP = 9
tRAS = 27

The DRAM voltage should be set to 1.5V. Please let me know if that makes a difference. It would also be helpful to know the BIOS revision your motherboard is running. Sometimes a BIOS update can be necessary for newer memory.

Katana,
US Moderator
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Kilobyte Kid
fillekiller

[ Edited ]
in reply to Crucial_Katana

I have the exact same problem.

I've got a Sabertooth 990FX R2.0, AMD 8350, Crucial Ballistix Elite 1866MHz 2x8GB and I can't get them to run at 1866Mhz.

When the mobo sets frequency it automatically chooses 1333MHz, and when I set them at 1866 I get BSOD just as I get to the homescreen. 

However I can set them to 1800MHz and it runs stable.

I've checked the timing, and here´s what's odd. When I set them too 9-9-9-27 I can't even get past W7 loading screen before I get BSOD. But when the mobo sets it to 9-9-9-24 it's all stable.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help

Edit: Now all of a sudden the timing 9-9-9-27 works, I have to do some more testing. Running those timings stable at 1600MHz at the moment.

Binary Boss
wingclip

in reply to fillekiller

Hi,

Another person with a high-end Asus mobo like yours had a very similar problem and I was helping him out as best I could a few weeks ago. We did realize that the ASUS UEFI was opening in a turbo, or semi-turbo mode. I happened to be building another computer at the time. (my system specs in my signature are not of the computer I'm speaking of now).

The one I was building also had an ASUS board and did the same thing with some Corsair 1600mhz RAM. For me, the problem was the setting under "AI TWEAKER". The "AI OVERCLOCK TUNER" was set to manual but should have been in either "Auto" or "D.O.C.P.". Either position would work for me but "manual" was definitely not what I should have set it to.

Please keep in mind that we were both dealing with the RAM speed issue as you are and we were also chaning settings in addition to the one I mentioned in an attempt to bring the mobo to its Default, non-turbo, state. I can't say that the adjustment in the Ai Overclock Tuner was the problem, only that I made that change and it worked for me.

In other words, I had made other changes as well but all of them were intended to get the mobo out of the overclock mode. For the other guy, it was that, and several other issues. Please go to this topic and read through it, but be warned, it is several pages.

You can go to his last post and read that but I think there were other things he did that may help you if the adjustment I just listed above doesn't fix your problem. Still, make sure you're not in the overclocked/turbo mode, and the memory is in an "Unganged" state. Here's the link:

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Ballistix-Performance-Memory/asus-p9x79-pro-only-runs-my-ram-at-1333mhz/...

Rich

Kilobyte Kid
fillekiller

in reply to wingclip

Thank you for your quick reponse wingclip!

I changed the Ai Overclock Tuner to D.O.C.P, then checked the DRAM O.C. Profile dropdown list and found a custom profile called "Profile #0 DDR3-1867 9-9-9-27-2N-1.50V-1.30V" which I picked. The Memory Frequency then automatically changed to DDR3-1866MHz and the proper timings.

The system seems to be running stable now. I've been running Prime for about 10 minutes (don't know if thats a proper way to test RAM though) without any problems. 

Binary Boss
wingclip

in reply to fillekiller

Great! I'm not familiar with Prime. I mean, I know of it, but I never tried it. From what I read, it's supposed to be pretty good.

As far as if you're running it correctly in relation to time, I don't know of any RAM testers that are not setup to give a more accurate result with the longer you run them.

I use memtest86 and if I don't experience any anomalies or reasons to suspect the RAM may have a problem, I only run it for 2 hours.

If it hadn't found anything by then, (and coupled with the consideration that there wasn't any previous event to indicate my RAM may have problems), I stop the test and move on my happy way.

Rich

Binary Boss
wingclip

in reply to fillekiller

Oh, by the way; in regards to the profile you chose, that mobo is way ahead in quality and features than anything I ever dealt with.

In fact, I've never seen a XMP profile listed like that until you showed one! lol. So you really should go to Guru3D.com or Overclock.net, (just to name a few), and ask about that.

You'd probably get a bit of a clearer answer in the Guru3D forum. Overclock,net is good too but often, some of the 'regulars' there, tend to shift the point of what you're trying to find out instead of answering the question.

There both good, but sometimes.... you know?

Rich

Kilobyte Kid
fillekiller

in reply to wingclip

That's a great idea, I'll keep testing this profile and ask there if problems occur. Otherwise I'll follow your example and move on my happy days 

Thanks again for your help, very much appreciated!

Binary Boss
wingclip

in reply to fillekiller

You are welcome.

Rich