Crucial_Guru
Accepted Solution

Ballistix Tactical Tracers and X79

[ Edited ]

We have identified a compatibility issue between certain Intel® X79 chipset-based motherboards and the programmable logic device (PLD) on our Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer memory modules. Intel X79 chipset-based boards have the potential to address the SMBUS controller in a way that prevents it from properly communicating  with our Tactical Tracers and the LED settings within the M.O.D. utility. Symptoms vary between manufacturer and platform, so we cannot guarantee compatibility of our Ballistix Tactical Tracer modules and all X79 platforms.

We are investigating a solution for the X79 platform compatibility issue with the Ballistix Tactical  Tracer modules. Please note that the Crucial Ballistix Sport, Tactical, and Elite product lines are compatible with X79, it is only the Ballistix Tactical Tracer modules (the memory modules with activity-indicating LEDs) that can exhibit compatibility issues.

Any users who have purchased Ballistix Tactical Tracer modules for their X79 platform and are experiencing compatibility issues, can contact Crucial for replacement as needed. The Ballistix Tactical Tracer memory will be exchanged for the non-LED Ballistix Tactical  modules with the same speed and density.  Please visit our contact page at www.crucial.com for assistance.

Guru, Crucial Moderator, US
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Kilobyte Kid
DejuanBCC

Re: Ballistix Tactical Tracers and X79

in reply to Crucial_Guru

hay good info, but known timeframe for this work around to go live? I posted my memory up ont he fourms here, because I want to keep the memory, just having a problem with the memory timings, but should I return them for a replacment?

my post

Kilobyte Kid
zorgin

in reply to Crucial_Guru

Hello There.

Are there any updates on whats going on with the MOD program for tactical tracer memory modules?

Bit Baby
Kamauj

in reply to Crucial_Guru

Is there any update or work around on this memeory compatibility?

Kilobyte Kid
helrich

[ Edited ]
in reply to Kamauj

Still interested in a fix for X79! Any news? I'd hate to have to send this RAM back.

EDIT:

I'm somewhat lucky, as the memory works fine (Rampage IV Gene), its just the MOD program that doesn't work. The dimms store the settings for the LEDs on non-volatile memory, so you can put them in a computer with a compatible motherboard, make your setting changes, and then put them in your main computer. This was helpful because mine were stuck on green, and my color scheme is red :smileytongue: At least it had a nice Christmas theme =D

Just sort of a workaround I guess for now, but I'd love to use the utility for real, as it looks like its got some nice features.

Binary Boss
MagsZ

in reply to helrich

Well I also have a Asus Rampage 4  Extreme (R4E)  And the problem has nothing to do with the LED's so much as I to would get over the fact that they are not able to use the ORANGE LED's .  Only the BLUE work on my mother board.  And really I had to send my MoBo Out cause the LED's don't even work on a R4E.  They have the voltage cut off to the DIMMs on a R4E because of certain people putting in the Memory Backwards on the R4E and taking out the 3.3 volt regs.

But the real problem on the Asus R4E is restarting of the Computer.  The X79 Chipset sends the DIMM memory the wrong settings or losing the specs all together and the Bios crashes on Start up.  If you restart the computer and reset the bios to 1600 on the Memory Modules your ok.  Well that is till you have to restart the computer.  Then your gonna freeze and have to get back into the bios and reset the Memory in the bios.  Try doing that on a Reformat LOL!

Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Crucial 32 GB DDR3-1600 Ballistix SMART Tracers
Intel 3930-K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2 GHz 6 Core 130 Watt CPU
Dual AMD Radeon 6970 graphics cards in Crossfire
Rosewill 1300 Watt Power Supply
5 WD HDD 2 - 2TB Black Editions 2 -1.5 TB Black Editions and a 1 TB
Sound Card Creative Labs Titanium Fatality PCI-E
Memory Leak Geek
randman76

in reply to MagsZ

MagsZ - Have you tried the Ballistic Tactical Tracers in your Asus Rampage IV Extreme recently? It appears that ASUS has resolved the problem in a recent BIOS update. I still cannot use the MOD software to change the light patterns; however, it no longer hangs for me during reboot. I have noticed though that it does take a few seconds longer during reboot (maybe a script is being ran to reset the RAM) but I have never had to completely power cycle the PC.  Not sure which BIOS update was responsible but I recommend updating to the latest and giving it another try. :smileyhappy:

Good luck!

-Randman76

Crucial_Katana

in reply to randman76

The issue described in the opening post of this thread is no longer present in the latest revision of Ballistix Tactical Tracers. All our inventory is up to date, which means that if you see Ballistix Tactical Tracer memory listed for your system on our website you can rest assured the parts are fully compatible, including on all X79 systems that list them.

If you currently have an older revision of the parts, please contact Customer Service for your region, and they will be happy to exchange your Ballistix Tactical Tracer modules for the latest part revision.

Katana,
US Moderator
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Binary Boss
BizSAR

[ Edited ]
in reply to Crucial_Katana

Hello,

I'm a staff member with PDXLAN and I've stood by the Crucial Tracers for years. I'll not use anything else. Nothing beats your tech support and support for PDXLAN. Going without Tracers would be way too boring, IMO! :smileyhappy:

I'm afaid I'm a bit late to the LGA 2011 game here and was hoping to use the older Ballistix Tracer (NOT Tactical) RAM I have and love. I'm afraid this means I'm stuck buying all new Tactial Tracer RAM to update to LGA 2011. Is this true? Does the work-around mentioned previously (setting LEDs in a different system first) work for this? Secondly, can we mix the Tacticals with the pre-Tactical Tracers as long as it is done in pairs? I was planning on adding two 2GB sticks to my triple-channel sticks I'm using on an older chipset (all 1600).

I really do not relish the thought of having to buy 6-8 sticks when what I already have is working just fine. :smileytongue:

~BizSAR
Binary Boss
BizSAR

in reply to BizSAR

Anyone? Bueller?

~BizSAR