DELL G7 7588 compatibility issues with Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 SODIMM

Kilobyte Kid

DELL G7 7588 compatibility issues with Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 SODIMM

I've checked memory compatibility (Crucial System Scanner) for my laptop Dell G7 7588, then I bought the recommend memory modules from Amazon (Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Kit 2 x 8GB DDR4-2666 SODIMM - BLS8G4S26BFSD). The laptop came originally with 2 x 4GB (SK Hynix 4GB 1Rx16 PC-4-26666V). I've verified that DELL G7 is not full compatible with these Ballistix modules I bought: it doesn't recognize when I use 2 x 8Gb Ballistix, it's just able to recognize 1x8Gb Ballistix in Slot 1 + 1x4Gb Hynix in slot 2. I've already updated my G7 BIOS to version 1.2.1 (May-22-2018) but it still doesn't recognize 2 x 8Gb Ballistix. Other people are having the same problem. See: https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/8m51hu/memory_upgrade_for_g7_7588/ but still with no solution. Need help.

Tags (2)
1 Reply
Crucial Employee

Re: DELL G7 7588 compatibility issues with Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 SODIMM

I am sorry to hear about the problems you are having trying to get your Ballistix parts to work in the G7 7588. It looks like we very recently invalidated all Ballistix parts for this particular laptop, so they no longer show as compatible on our website. 

The CPU in that Dell should be able to handle this memory with the faster latency, but it obviously appears that isn't the case, so we have turned off Ballistix parts for that system.

Regular Crucial parts are still listed as compatible and should work just fine with that model. CT2K16G4FSD8266 would be the kit we now recommend. Please return your Ballistix kit for a refund to Amazon and look at purchasing the Crucial kit instead. If you're outside the 30 day return period for Amazon and purchased the parts from the seller "Crucial (Micron CPG)" on your Amazon invoice, please PM me your Amazon order number and we can look at getting that refund pushed through for you, if Amazon support won't let you return the memory.

Crucial_Benny, Micron CPG Support, US

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France | Global
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?