Is my computer damaging memory? or bad RAM

Kilobyte Kid

Is my computer damaging memory? or bad RAM

Here's the scenario, I had to stick of crucial ballstix ram 8 gig each.  Let's call them stick A and B.  I've been having random BSOD, resets, restarts.  I started testing RAM with memtest.  Stick A returned errors, Stick B worked fine.  I returned stick A to Crucial, while this was happening my pc ran on Stick B.  They sent me back a new stick lets call this (stick C)  I first put stick C in to my machine to make sure the new ram was good, ran memtest everything was fine.  Then I put stick B into my machine along site with stick C, tested, saw errors.  Then I took out stick C, and just left stick B, and now stick B give me errors consistently.  I tried the stick in various slots, with same results.  Anyone every experience this?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you

7 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: Is my computer damaging memory? or bad RAM

@uteroid I am sorry for the issues you've been experiencing with this RAM. What is the make and model of your computer? This will let us check into this further for you. 

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Motherboard gigabyte z370 auro ultra gaming, cpu i7-8700k
Community Manager

I am sorry I should have asked this previously, but what is the full part number of the memory module you are installing?This will be on the label of the memory module. 

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

I sent the bad module back to Crucial for RMA, but I was just wondering, don't want to damage another stick of RAM

Community Manager

I can't imagine the computer is damaged the RAM, but have you tried the RAM in different slots to ensure that a slot is not damaged? 

Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

Make sure to reset all your motherboard's CPU & memory settings to defaults or Auto settings.   Incorrect custom settings could cause your memory to fail.

Is your BIOS/UEFI firmware up to date?  Only update it while using known good stable memory.

After unplugging the computer, press the power button, then wait a few minutes to let power dissipate from the motherboard.  If your motherboard has LEDs on it, make sure they are all dark before doing any work.

After intially testing Stick C and reinstalling Stick B, was Stick B in the same slot as before when it was working by itself (while waiting to recieve Stick C)?  If not, then it seems the other slot may have an issue.   Closely examine each memory slot to see if anything looks out of place or might be stuck in there.   Then I would blow some compressed air in each memory slot before installing the memory.   If possible tilt the system at an angle so if anything does come out of the slot it won't fall onto the motherboard or other components.

There is always a very small chance you have an issue with a slot or with another component which is causing the failures.   If so it can be challenging to figure it out.  I've been there several times myself.   Do you perhaps have an older known good stick of RAM you could use to test the suspect slot?   It's not a perfect test since the new larger RAM may be exposing an undetected existing condition with your motherboard.    If each memory slot works Ok individually, then perhaps you are exposing a flaw with the motherboard when multiple larger RAM sticks are used together.

Kilobyte Kid

Thank you for your reply I tested the ram in all the slots and its not a slot issue. Last week I got 2 new sticks of RAM from a different manufacturer to test, and so far everything works, no errors in memtest, no crashes...  I'll see if anything changes, but it looks it may have been the RAM sticks after all