Ballistix MOD (Memory Overview Display) utility FAQ, feedback and questions

Kilobyte Kid

Re: Ballistix MOD utility FAQ, feedback and questions

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone.

I recently bought Tactical Tracers here in the Philippines from an authorized seller.
The sticks work well, except that the MOD utility says my motherboard is not supported,

and so it is only BLUE LED both for running & activity lights; can't change the brightness (i'm being blinded LOL), can't change the colors, can't change the pattern (default pattern only: in out), can't use the MOD utility.

the error code is:

"motherboard not compatible. vendor: 10DE model: 3EA"

it just stays in the splash screen, until i close the message box, then the splash screen closes too.

can't find the error code anywhere so i decided to sign up here at the forums and ask for help.

the kit is a 2x4GB 1600 CL8 Ballistix Tactical Tracer orange-blue LED

CPUZ reports it as part number: BLT4G3D1608DT2TXOB

*removed personal information*

My motherboard is BIOSTAR N68S3B (cheap/old board) chipset is MCP61/GeForce7025/nForce630a

it has the latest BIOS.

i hope anybody could help me out.

took me about some time to finally get this awesome RAM kit and its sad that i can't run the utility.Smiley Sad

Thanks in advance.

Community Manager

Hi brxkaio,

Thank you for contacting us. I am sorry that you are having issues with this RAM with the MOD utility. What version of the MOD utility are you currently using? The 64 bit or the 32 bit? If you are using one over the other, I would recommend trying the other version. In some cases, that can oddly make all the difference. 

Let me know if you are still having issues. 

Best regards,

Heather 

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Thank you for your reply YogiH

i have windows 7 64bit, i installed the latest version of the MOD utility.

i tried 64bit version first, it didn't work, i uninstalled the 64bit version and downloaded the 32bit  version ('cuz 64bit can run 32bit programs), but the MOD utility still gives the same error code.

i even tried an "alternative to the MOD utility" found here in the forums,but it also didn't work.

then i uninstalled the MOD, installed all updates to the .NET framework (just to be sure; ~900MB of updates), and installed the 64bit & 32bit versions one at a time.

still not working. Smiley Sad

i read through the forums even before i registered but found no fix so i came here. Smiley Happy

will there be any upcoming updates to the utility?
if so, i hope my motherboard will already be supported.

just an inquiry though, is the MOD utility compatible to AMD970 northbridge motherboards?
i'm thinking of upgrading my board, to this one specifically:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4591#ov

but only if you can confirm that the board is supported. if it's not, maybe it ain't worth the upgrade for now (at least for me)
my primary concern as of the moment is to take advantage of my memory's full potential (aesthetically speaking)

Thank you for your time. Smiley Happy

Community Manager

Hi brxkaio

Thanks for letting me know the steps that you have already taken. I am sorry that you are still having issues. There could very well be an update coming out for the utility. There has been no date set, but we do update these utilities. The last update was in December. 

The MOD utility appears to be compatible with the AMD 970 chipset. We have had no returns on our Tracers and no issues reported. 

You may also try to contact the authorized reseller you purchased the RAM from and see if they will exchange it for you. Trying a new set would help you determine if it's the MOD utility with the system or the RAM itself. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. 

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Thank you for confirming that there will be an upcoming update and that 970 chipset boards are compatible , YogiH. Smiley Happy

i don't think i can have the sticks replaced by the reseller even if they have a 1 year store warranty with it; they only have stocks pre-ordered upon customer request.
in my case, they only had one stock/ordered item, the one i bought.

i'll just inquire if they have the specific board i mentioned instead.
if they do, i might just have to bring my power supply, my graphics card, my HDD with the ballistix MOD installed, CPU, CPU cooler, and my pair of Tactical Tracers, and have it test benched at their shop on-the-spot, so as to test if the problem lies with my previous board or the RAM sticks.

if it's my previous board, no problem, if it's my Tactical Tracers, then maybe they can help with replacing the units.

I will update you how it goes.

Thanks a lot for your help!Smiley Happy

P.S.

Does the CPU contribute to this issue at all?

I'm still using an AMD Athlon II X2 270 dual core cpu at stock speed 3.4GHz.

Thanks.

Kilobyte Kid

Hi YogiH and the whole Crucial Community!!

I inquired about that motherboard that I was looking at,

and the retailer said there is only one unit left.

I got there on time and bought that board, 'cus i'm fairly certain that it would work.

I didn't bring my other components though; i just risked it, time will come i would have to upgrade my current board.

i just finished putting the parts back into my case now, booted, set some UEFI settings, and went into Windows.

there were a lot of drivers installing, i waited for it to finish, then i ran the 64bit Ballistix MOD Utility installer.

it said i need .net framework 3.5; i unknowingly downloaded .net4 so i thought the utility was not compatible with my new board too!

i was about to get upset when i realized 3.5 was needed.

i downloaded it, ran the installer, but it said .net framework 3.5 needs to be run from "windows features"

i got it installed, and the MOD utility installed, ran the utility, and (drum roll please)
NO ERROR CODE! Smiley Very Happy

FINALLY! I'm able to change lights options of my awesome RAM! Yay!Smiley Wink

turns out my old board is too old for the MOD utility. my fault. Smiley Happy

i can't post photos due to the size limits, but hey you know how it looks (it looks awesome!)

THANKS a lot to YogiH for all her help!
Crucial takes care of their customers really well.

I highly recommend this manufacturer!

a satisfied customer,

brxkaio

Community Manager

Hi brxkaio,

Thanks for the update. I am so glad that you have everything working the way it should Smiley Happy Let us know if you run into any other issues. 

Have a wonderful day Smiley Happy 

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

i get the error "index was outside the bounds of the array" when i try to start the M.O.D utility.

I've tried the 32 and 64 bit versions.

spec:

win 7 ultimate service pack 1 (all updates installed)

mobo:Asus Fm2A75M pro + (bios up to date)

CPU: AMD A8-5600k

Ram: Crucial 8GB (2x4GB) DDR 1866Mhz Ballistix Tactical Tracer Orange/Blue Memory Kit CL8 1.5V

The blue LED's blink all the time, and the software doesn't load???

Community Manager

[ Edited ]

Hi shik1,

It appears that we do not list the 1866mhz Tactical Tracer's on the compatibility list for your system. This list can be found here. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. 

Best regards, 

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

[ Edited ]

I've installed Ballistix Mod utility and get the same error mentioned above "index was outside the bounds of the array"

However I can use jungles alternative to Ballistix MOD Utility: http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Ballistix-Performance-Memory/A-good-alternative-to-Ballistix-MOD-Utility...

But it is very limited

My system specifications is:

AMD A8-6600K 4-Core

Asrock FM2A88M Extreme4+ Motherboard

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB kit (4GBx2) DDR3 1866 MT/s (PC3-14900) (MFC: BLT2KIT4G3D1869DT2TXRG)

I looked at the compatibility tool on crucial and the ram kit I'm using isn't on the list I would like to know why as my CPU and my motherboard chipset specifically supports 1866 MHz memory why is it that the majority of your DDR3 memory models are not combatible with the lastest chipsets and cpus?

Also why is it that Jungles MOD Utility works yet your one doesn't? obviously it can be hotfixed to work with my specifications, my motherboard supports up to 2133 MHz memory and 64 GB total my CPU supports up to 1866 MHz memory and Jungles MOD Utility is able to edit some of the light patterns.

I do not see the complications as to why you cannot get the offical Ballistixs MOD utility to run with my A88X chipset.

If Jungles one can why can't yours?