Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Kilobyte Kid
Limacs
Accepted Solution

Ballistix Tactical Compatibility

Hello, i have 4x4gb Ballistix Tactical modules, in a Asus P8C WS motherboard. I just ordered and waiting to show up a Zalman CNPS 8900 Extreme, and after a few research I've just found out that there may issues regarding ram heatsink not clearing the ram modules especially the one in the first slot, and since i have 4 modules that may be an issue. If anyone has any info on that matter it will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Binary Boss
wingclip

Re: Ballistix Tactical Compatibility

in reply to Limacs

I have the Asrock Z77 eXtreme4 motherboard and I used the Swiftech H220 closed loop liquid system. I can say that the Corsair vengeance "Low Pro" memory was definitely getting in the way of my fans and the push pull configuration I had set up.

I wound up having to cut the fan housing in order for the RAM to fit. Recently however, I bought the Crucial Ballistixs Tactical 8 x 2 16GB 1600 and I can say that I wish I had done that in the first place.

The RAM by Crucial was almost half as high as the so-called "Low Pro"! So maybe that should tell you a little something.

I don't think you going to have a problem with any clearance from this RAM but if you have any reservations, Google the RAM dimensions online and I'm sure someone will be able to verify how high it is.

My RAM was maybe 1 inch tall at the most and wouldn't surprise me if it was only 7/8.
Rich

Kilobyte Kid
Limacs

in reply to wingclip

Thank you for the reply, it's great news you're bringing in but i hope you're talking about the standard crucial ballistix and not the Low profile. I've already googled lots of stuff about sizes and ram clearance and all i can say is that most of ram modules that don't fit with that zalman are around 3 or 4 mm taller so not a huge difference. Anyway the modules we are talking about have an official height of around 35mm, 35.something mm. I just hope all will be alright because I've just checked lots of pics with that zalman installed and it looks like the heat pipes are really pushing into the ram. Thank you again for the reply.

Binary Boss
wingclip

in reply to Limacs

Oh-oh... Heat Pipes? I should have mentioned that I didn't check to see what Ballitix RAM version you had. I just went and measured the Corsair Vengeance Low-Pro, (which, if you recall, was too tall for my system), and the OAH is 31mm. The protrusion height after pressed in place is 26.55mm...

And they don't have any cooling pipes. I always saw the cooling rig RAM as more show than necessary, but that's me. I've never seen my RAM temps go high enough to need them.

I'm a tech writer and I use Dragon NaturallySpeaking Premium 12 while simultaneously running the following: Adobe Acrobat XI Pro, Microsoft Office 2010 Pro (while using Word and Publisher simultaneously), Photoshop CS6 Extended, and at least two or more browser pages opened in Google Chrome.

All that stuff, (I may have missed one or two), uses a lot of RAM and I think I saw a maximum temperature of about 38°C once. Anyway, the cooling pipes do look good and I'd venture to guess that many people tend to buy them for that reason.

So to sum it up, you may have a problem after all. :smileyfrustrated:
Rich

Kilobyte Kid
Limacs

in reply to wingclip

When i say heat pipes i mean those on the Zalman, on the cpu cooler, on RAM modules just the stock radiator which for my crucial is 2 thin plates of some kind of metal i guess. 

Regarding ram height i still think you either have the low profile ones (crucial) or something is wrong. Because my modules which are still crucial after they've been pressed in place, they measure about 30mm without the socket of the ram, just from the lowest point (again after they're seated in place) up to the highest, and your corsair have 26.55mm, so definitely those corsair are LP.

Kilobyte Kid
Limacs

in reply to Limacs
Binary Boss
wingclip

in reply to Limacs

Oh yes, The Corsair are definitely Low Pro but they were still too high for my Push/Pull cooling fans which straddled both sides of a 240mm radiator.

However, the Ballistix tactical 1600's I recently bought, (16 GB, 8 X2), were considerably lower than the Corsairs! They clear the cooling system with no problem.

The pic you sent of the RAM definitely gives a better idea of what you’re up against. The new cooling system you’re waiting may indeed have a problem but the pipes will be copper. If their just striking by a small amount, you may be able to bend them to clear.

If not, Crucial’s low pro sticks which is what I’m running now, will certainly clear. Good Luck.
Rich

Kilobyte Kid
Limacs

in reply to wingclip

That's what i had in mind also when i found out about the issue, anyway thanks alot for the help, and i'll let you know how everything went when i get the zalman.

Binary Boss
wingclip

in reply to Limacs

Yes, please do let me know.

Thanks, Rich

Kilobyte Kid
Limacs

in reply to wingclip

I just installed the Zalman, i can tell you that this configuration works perfectly, no issues at al, it clears the RAM by let's say 1 to 2 mm. Everything was spot on. So with DIMMS up to 35mm height you're all right.

Our Latest Posts