Ballistix Tactical Tracers and X79

SOLVED
Community Manager

Re: Ballistix Tactical Tracers and X79

Hi BizSAR,

The issue we had with the X79 chipset has been resolved by the most recent version of our Tactical Tracer memory, this means you can update using the new Tactical Tracer no problem and they will work fine with that chipset.

It's perfectly fine to run older tracer memory with the new Tactical range, please bear in mind however that the memory will all downclock to the slowest module.  So if your older tracer modules are slower than the new Tactical the new memory will clock its speed down.

Crucial_Junket, Crucial Moderator, UK

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Memory Leak Geek

[ Edited ]

Hello, i recently ordered an Asus Rampage IV extreme, and wanted LED Ram, so i ordered the Ballistix Tactical Tracer ram as well.  

240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)

It hasnt arrived yet, but i now found all these issues online about compatibility.. should i expect issues when i receive them? 

Crucial_Junket explained that the most recent version of the memory now works with this chipset, but how am i to know how old the online retailers stock is? is there a way to verify prior to opening the packaging (so i can return it easier if i must)?  or does 'crucial' themselves exchange the ram with the fix if need be?  it got mine via newegg.ca

PS: is the fix just the RAM portion (fixing the hang-up issue), or is it also a fix on the MOD utility? i saw people saying the software doesnt launch due to not being compatible with the motherboard?

any help would be appreciated.

Community Manager

Hi dryicex,

Thanks for your question.

I have had a look in to this and the best way to check is the part number listed on the sticker on the memory.  Unfortunately we would be unable to tell based on the part number listed on the box as that part number would likely be for the memory kit and not the module itself.

It's perfectly safe for you to open the packaging to check this as we can arrange an exchange for you for the correct part if it does not work.  If you try the memory and it's not working just contact our customer service team directly HERE and we can arrange an exchange for the correct revision of Ballistix memory.

The MOD utility should also run no problem on that system and if you are having any problems at all please let us know and we can look in to it for you.

Want to be a Super User?
Memory Leak Geek

update:

upon assembling my parts into a test-bench, ive found:

a) the memory works (no hangs), and leds light up on all 8 slots.

b) the ballistixUtility (64bit) doesnt work.  It pops up "Motherboard not compatible" during the "reading modules" stage, and closes upon clicking ok.  version 1.2.2.1.

does this mean my memory is not up to date? or that the utility program is not up to date?

motherboard: Asus Rampage IV extreme (with updated latest bios 4310)

chip: I7 4960x

ram: (4) 1x1866 b/o and (2) 2x1866 r/g module packs (8 sticks total)

Community Manager

Hi dryicex,

Thanks for your reply.

I have had a look in to this further for you and it does unfortunately look like we are having a problem with the MOD utility working on some X79 systems.

We are working on a solution for this but we have found that some customers have resolved this issue by clearing the CMOS on their motherboard.  To do this you have to find the CMOS battery which is attached to your motherboard.  It looks like a larger version of a watch battery.

With the computer switched off, remove the battery for 5 minutes and then put it back in and start the system up again.  This could resolve the problems you are having with the MOD utility.

The memory itself seems to be working fine as the system is booting fine.  I am sorry for any problems you have had with this memory upgrade.

Want to be a Super User?
Memory Leak Geek

[ Edited ]

an update on Ballistix Tactical Tracer Ram and X79 Mobo's

I have the ASUS Rampage 4 Extreme Motherboard, and 1866 Ballistix Tactical Tracer Ram (4g sticks).

I have done an RMA for the Orange/Blue sticks, and still waiting for the Red/Green sticks to get a fix.

I have also updated my bios to the latest rev from ASUS.

I have also rec'd an updated MOD Utility (using 64bit MOD, on windows 7 professional 64bit)

Findings:

- The utility now actually launches! and the O/B Ram works perfectly (color changing/patterns)

- I can modify my R/G as well, but since they are not 100% compatible yet, the program glitches on the color/pattern options occasionally, or sometimes not all the R/G ram appears on the program.  So i am waiting to RMA those pieces as well.

So great news for anyone who has x79, and wants a lightshow on their ram!

Crucial is definitely #1 in my books!

But i recommend getting the ram from crucial direct, as retailers stock will likely be old, and require RMA from crucial to fix 'em.  

Community Manager

Hello dryicex,

Thank you for the update on your Ballistix Tracers. I am glad that the utility is launching and that you have had success with the new RAM. Please let us know if there's anything else that we may help you with.

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

Please excuse me for breaking in this topic.
I have the same board as Dryicex and I'm glad to see that the tracers are working correctly in the X79 boards.
I'm at the point of buying some tracers and I was wondering if I buy them in my country if I get the updated modules.
My next questions is will there be any chance that crucial will come with a 64 GB kit?
Community Manager

Hi Anandvr,

Thank you for contacting us today. Unfortunately, it would depend on when the shop had purchased the Ballistix Tactical Tracers from us. If they were purchased very recently there should be no issue. If you were able to contact the store before hand, and get the whole part number off the kit (this will look something like BLT2KIT8G3D1608DT2TXRG.16FEDB) we would be able to check and see if this is a compatible part for your system. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns about this.

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

Want to be a Super User?
Memory Leak Geek

Hi all

I have a Asus ROG RIV Extreme, im looking to buy 32gb of the Tracer RAM. 8 x 4gb sticks 4 Blue Orange and 4 Green Red sticks.

Before I purchase have all the compatibility problems been resolved now, i tried the MOD software and it doesn't seem to work on my motherboard. 

Thanks for any replies in advance just wanted to check before i drop over 300 pounds.