Ballistix Tactical Tracers and X79

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

Re: Ballistix Tactical Tracers and X79

Did they give you a new MOD utility? I'm wondering if it is newer than the one on the site.

~BizSAR
Community Manager

The Mod Utility on the site is the updated version. The website is the only way we offer the Mod Utility. Please let us know if yo have any other questions about this.

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Thanks for the reply, Yogi. Smiley Happy

~BizSAR
Kilobyte Kid

[ Edited ]

I'm having a strange issue with my 1600s on the ASUS x79 Deluxe mobo:

I have 4 sticks (2-2packs bought) BLT4G3D1608DT2TXOB - BG112NB.W8.

The MOD utility does usually see the two sticks on channel A, but sometimes it either doesn't see the two sticks on channel B or only one of the sticks. I can only adjust the lights, etc. on two or three sticks.

The MOD utility lights screen is usually messed up as well (shown below).

Also, seemingly not related, CPU-Z will not show any sticks in the SPD tab occasionally. Sometimes if I reboot they are back, sometimes not.

Here's a screen shot of a typical messed up MOD utility window (sometimes its worse):

Crucial MOD utility issue.jpg

Incidentally, I have all the lights turned off on the RAM except the one stick in channel B that the MOD utility never sees.

MOD Utility v1.2.4.0

The OS (Win 8.1) sees all 16GB of RAM.

Any ideas as to what might be wrong?

~BizSAR
Community Manager

Hi BizSAR,

I am sorry for the issues you are experiencing with your Ballistix RAM. What is the extension at the end of the part number. This should read something like BLT4G3D1608DT2TXOB.16FKR. Thank you in advance for this information.

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

[ Edited ]

Hi YogiH,

No problem at all. I'm a PDXLAN staff member and support Crucial, my fave memory sponsor. Hey, you guys have Crucial Sam!

Sorry for the delay in response.

Actually, all 4 modules do end with 16FKR. I bought them in 2 sets of 2.

I just launched the MOD utility again. After removing power to my system, pulling out each module to check it's numbers, then putting them back in and powering my system on, when I run the MOD Utility and go to the 'Lights' section, I get an error "Crucial modules with programmable LEDs not detected", and CPU-Z does not see the modules in the 'SPD' tab again. If I check for SPD Data in the MOD Utility, it only lists ChannelA_Dimm1. Smiley Sad 

UPDATE: After removing power, re-seating and rotating the modules, CPU-Z populates it's SPD tab with all 4 modules, and the MOD Utility sees 3 of the 4 modules again. Odd that I'm noticing that one of the Channel A modules seems to be programming a Channel B module...something is pretty messed up. 

Let me know if you need more debug on my part and where to go from here.

Thank you!

~BizSAR
Community Manager

Hi BizSAR,

It appears that the RAM that was purchased is not the correct revision of the memory for your system and that is why you are experiencing the issues that you have been. We do offer a compatible revision and we would be happy to swap it out for you. I will private message you some more details about this revision.

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Hi all,

sorry but i can't understand on the crucial online shop which are the updated versions of Tactical Tracers memory that works fine with X79 and my Asus Rampage IV Extreme.

the Red-Green memory on the shop says that are not compatible with my motherboard...

i need 4x4gb sticks of Red-Green ram and 4x4gb sticks of Blue-Orange ram... is there any compatibile kits with my Rampage IV Extreme?

Community Manager

Hi Goofy_Goober,

Thank you for your question. 

I have looked in to this for you and we unfortunately no longer provide compatible 4GB Ballistix Tracer modules for this system.  We do supply compatible 8GB modules in both Red-Green and Orange-Blue.

You can see all compatible memory for this system HERE.

I am sorry for any problems this may have caused. 

Crucial_Junket, Crucial Moderator, UK

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Hello. My system is using the ASUS Rampage IV Gene motherboard and I have 4 x 4GB sticks of the Tactical Tracer in my system. I am running Windows 8. When I try to run the tool in Windows 8 it doesn't find any compatible modules I have to run the tool in compatibility mode (Windows 7), it picks up 1 stick of RAM and allows me to change the colors/pattern etc. The other 3 sticks do not show up.

I know there has been some issues with x79 platform and the RAM.

Is there any fix for this? I might just swap all the RAM into the 1 slot that is readable and set them up that way and be done with it as a temporary solution.

Thanks.