Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Memory Leak Geek
freduce
Accepted Solution

Ballistix VLP boot problem

hi

for some time i've been a happy user of Crucial hardware.

but now i've encountered a problem, using a new Crucial Ballistix Sport VLP 1600MHz CL9 1,35V kit.

problem is, my system wont boot, with just the VLP modules:

every combination of the two modules (or one) and the DIMM slots, results in no boot, with the cpu fan in a spin up-stop loop.

if i replace 1 module with another DDR3 module from another kit which i wanted to replace (GEIL 1GB 1066MHz CL9 1.5V), the system does boot, and works fine. the RAM capacity from the Ballistix module is also normally recognized. this way i checked that both Ballistix modules have no defect, and are working just fine.

but just not on their own...

my other system specs:

Gigabyte F2A85XN mini ITX motherbord, with 2 Dual Channel DIMM slots

Bios version F2 (which is the most recent)

AMD A10 5700 processor

Windows 7

Crucial M500 240gb

120W In Win psu

what should i do?

i think it has something to do with the XMP profile (or whatever this Ballistix kit uses), and that my motherbord cant automatically load the right settings...

resetting BIOS/clear CMOS did nothing.

thanks for your time, i'd appreciate someone who can help :smileyhappy:

Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

Re: Ballistix VLP boot problem

in reply to freduce

Hi freduce,

First of all I'm sorry to hear about the problems you have had with your memory upgrade.

Having looked at your post it looks like it's down to a speed issue with the memory.  When you run a faster memory module next to a slower module the faster one automatically clocks it's speed down.  This is why it's working with one old memory module and one new memory module.

There are a couple of different things we can look at to resolve this issue.  Do you know if you have the most up to date BIOS version for your motherboard?  Sometimes updating the BIOS can resolve memory issues so it is worth trying this.

You mentioned the memory settings in BIOS, have you tried to manually lower the memory speed in the BIOS to see if that resolves the issue?  What deferent memory options do you have in your BIOS?

If you ordered the memory direct from Crucial we could also look at arranging an exchange for a different memory speed.   There are links in my signature to the different customer support sites for different regions.

Please let us know how it goes and we can look in to this further for you.

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Memory Leak Geek
freduce

in reply to Crucial_Junket

hi Junket

thank you for your time and help, to assist me in my issue. the problem would indeed be speed related.

first, i did some Memtest runs, and both the Ballistix modules report no errors.

then i did some thourough testing, changing settings little by little. i started with 1 Ballistix module, and 1 GEIL module (so the system would boot). settings i changed would be speed, voltage, and memory profiles.

here's the results.

with 1 Ballistix module, the system boots with speed max at 1333MHz. voltage can either be 1,35V or 1,5V.

with 2 Ballistix modules, speed is max 1333MHz and voltage 1,5V.

So the system works now, without the need of an old memory module, but on its own. though just running at lower speed, and using higher voltages.

there are 2 memory profiles provided by the Ballistix kit:

1 speed 1600MHz, voltage 1,35V and some other stuff

2 speed 1600MHz, voltage 1,5V

so i used profile 2, and changed the speed to 1333MHz.

though i'm glad i've got them working, i'm not completely happy: i bought the Ballistix kit specially because of the 1,35V voltage and 1600MHz speed: so i'm disappointed not to be able to achieve both of these specs.

the Ballistix running at this speed is performing less then i expected (WEI score 7.3). and since i'm using an AMD Apu, it also affects the processing and grafics performance.

so i'd like to explore (with some help) if there are other settings i should change.

these are some settings i can change in my BIOS (which affect memory):

-XMP profile (off/profile1/profile2)

-AMP (AMD) memory profile (on/off) ??

-memory multiplyer (10/13/16 for speeds 1066/1333/1600)

-dram timing selectable (auto/quick/expert)

-rank interleaving (auto/disabled)

-channel interleaving (auto/disabled)

-dram voltage (auto)

this dram voltage is not configurable to exactly 1,35V: there are 0,02 steps, so 1,34 or 1,36 would be closest.

default of the dram voltage is 1,5V

-dram timings:

i'm not really comfortable changing these on my own. of course there's the normal timing 9-9-9-24 of the Ballistix modules. but there's a lot of other number, of which i know nothing about.. tRC, tRRD, tWTR, tWR etc...

the way i got the Ballistix kit working now, is selecting the XMP profile 2 and overiding the memory multiplyer to 13.

can you help me find some settings to make it work, and achieve the speed (and voltage) advertised by Crucial?

is there a way you (or some one else from Crucial (or maybe Gigabyte)) can check if my cpu/motherbord/ram combo should run at all the advertised speeds? in other words, is there someone else that has tried this Ballistix memory on this Gigabyte board?

by the way

-the BIOS version is the latest, F2

-if eventually nothing fixed this, i plan on returning the kit.

hope you can help, but thanks anyway! :smileyhappy:

Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

in reply to freduce

Hi freduce,

Thank you for your reply.

First of all I had a look in to the processor you have an it can support up to 1866MHz memory so we know it's not the processor that's causing the speed problems.

It is more likely down to the front side bus speed and the DRAM multipliers that are causing the problems.  You may need to adjust the FSB speed, CPU multiplier and the DRAM multiplier as the XMP profile does not seem to be doing this correctly for you.

We however cannot advise exactly what to change the settings to as we can provide support for our products only and we don't want to make a recommendation that could damage your motherboard.  This means you have two options, you can have a look at changing the multipliers based on someone else's advise or look at an exchange for a different speed.

If you did order direct from Crucial just contact the customer service team using the links in my signature but if you ordered from a 3rd party I would recommend contacting them directly. 

Once again sorry for the problems you have had setting the speed of this memory.

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Memory Leak Geek
freduce

in reply to Crucial_Junket

hi

i have very little experience with overclocking, and manually tweaking settings such as multiplier, fsb and voltages. so i appreciate the tips, but i will leave it as it is.

Gigabyte provided a new Bios update, but this didn't solve the problem either.

so i am returning the kit for another one. i'm still in doubt which one i would choose.

in my experience, the Crucial support on this forum is very good, but also the emailsupport: in the past days i've also had some emailcontact with Crucial, and in my opinion they are very fast and useful. thanks!

Gigabyte's emailsupport was also useful, but some days slower.

Bit Baby
Scarlett

in reply to freduce

Thank you very much for the reply. It's really sad that I can't use the modules I've got, and since they're not faulty I hope they'll take them back at the store. I bought the kit because it had very good reviews online, and it's the first time I ever experience compatibility issues with RAM :smileysad: I had never thought there would be such a problem.

Just out of curiosity, could you please elaborate a bit more on what are the compatibility issues that the RAM may have with the MoBo? I'm not talking about using DDR3 RAM with a DDR2 slot, but more to the problem at hand: what are possible reasons that cause the incompatibilities I'm faced with?

Scarlett
Our Latest Posts