Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Kilobyte Kid
mozzy
Accepted Solution

Crucial Ballistix on non XMP laptop

Hi to all, i'm new to the crucial forum but i started to be a customer some time ago when i bought some M4 SSDs and i had a really good experience with this brand.

For the first time i'm going to buy a memory from you but i need some help to not make mistakes. I already wrote to the support email address but the answer i got didn't had the information i was looking for (i have to admit because i didn't make it rightly and it was a bit vague).

I just ordered a new laptop (Lenovo B590 MBX2BIX) with an HM77 mainboard and an i5-3210M CPU.

It support 2x PC-12800 (1600 mhz) 1.35v memory modules and it comes with a PC-12800 1600 mhz 1.35v CL11 module as what lenovo datasheet says.

Probably that laptop doesnt support XMP profiles and manual setting of memory timings.

Your website list as compatible both CT2KIT51264BF160B (standard CL11) and BLS2K4G3N169ES4 (ballistix CL9)
 and the price is almost the same.

Compatible is a bit vague and can mean "your computer just works". I would like to know what happens if i put the ballistix in that laptop.

If i'm not wrong one of the following things may happen:

1) The memory doesn't need XMP so it will run at 1600Mhz 1.35v CL9

2) The memory need XMP only for CL9 profile but have the CL11 profile in JEDEC format so it will run at 1600Mhz 1.35v CL11 (or maybe 1.5v...)

3) The memory support all 1600Mhz profiles only in XMP format and it will run at lower frequency

Can someone help me?

The answer would makes a lot of difference because if i'm sure that i cannot run the ballistix at their full specs, i'd prefer to run the standard memory at CL11 1.35v instead of some other not-optimal setting (like CL11 1.5v).

Thank you in advance for your time,

Davide

Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

Re: Crucial Ballistix on non XMP laptop

in reply to mozzy

Hi mozzy,

Thanks for your message.

You are correct in saying that we do recommend both the Ballistix and the Crucial memory for this system.  When we recommend memory for a system we do test it's compatibility first.

The quickest way to check and see if your system can support the lower timings of the Ballistix would be to enter your system BIOS and see if there are different memory profiles.  If there is a performance or XMP profile available this would allow you to get the Ballistix timings without having to manually change the timings yourself, all you would have to do would be to active the XMP memory profile in your BIOS.

Ballistix memory like standard memory is backwards compatible which means if it cannot run at the fastest speed it does automatically clock down to match the system.  This means that both memory modules would work no problem but I would check your system BIOS for more information on XMP compatibility.

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Kilobyte Kid
mozzy

in reply to Crucial_Junket

Hi Junket.

The lenovo B590 have no BIOS settings for timings or XMP. And Lenovo told me it doesn't support XMP.

So the right product for this laptop is the standard memory and not the ballistix one.

I'll mark this one as solved.

Thank you for your help

Community Manager
Crucial_YogiH

in reply to mozzy

Hi mozzy,

Thank you for updating us and letting us know that you have resolved the issue. Please let us know if there's anything else we may help with.

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Our Latest Posts