Mobo compatible?

Kilobyte Kid

Mobo compatible?

Hello,

My system:

GigaByte  GA-MA790XT-UD4P (rev. 1.0)  (using the latest BIOS version: F9b)

Crucial 2x4GB DDR3-1600 CL8 (BX Tactical) BLT2CP4G3D1608DT1TX0CEU

AMD PhenomII X6 1090T (Stepping: E0)

Those newly bought Crucial sticks are sadly generating errors in MemTest86, which I had run because my PaleMoon browser (and Firefox did it too) kept closing or faulting inexplicably.

I wanted to check here before I start the RMA procedure because although the motherboard's specs seem fully compatible, the BIOS appears to use a DIMM 1.60v voltage setting as minimum and I wondered if that 0.1v difference would be enough to make the sticks unstable?

The sticks have been MemTested together (slot 1+2, and slot 3+4), and seperately (in slot 1, and slot 3) and seem to generate errors in the same memory addresses regardless of slot, though one stick generates quite a few more errors than the other one. The BIOS is set to stock clocks and 'Auto' settings, meaning the sticks are run at 1333Mhz with 9-9-9-24-1T default settings, but at 1.60v.

I'm not sure if my mobo is showing/applying the voltages correctly, so is this a known problem with this motherboard or do the new sticks need to be RMA'ed in your opinion?

9 Replies
Community Manager

Re: Mobo compatible?

Hello cptKangaroo,

I am sorry for the issues you have been experiencing with your new RAM. We haven't had any other issues reported with this system and have had few returns. One thing I noticed on our end is that we suggest the timings as 8-8-8-24. Have you tried adjusting the timings from auto and possibly adjusting the voltage in the BIOS? If you are still experiencing issues you may try contacting us directly using the information in my signature. I am sorry for the inconvenience.

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Thank you for your reply.

I've tried setting the timings manually and also tested a 1.65v setting but the errors remain. I'll try to get hold of a different mobo over the weekend to make sure before I apply for the RMA procedure, which I believe is open until next week (30 days after purchase, 21 January 2015 ).

Community Manager

If it was purchased directly through us it would be a 45 day return policy. Most other vendors would be 30 days. Yes, please let us know and set up that RMA if you are still experiencing issues.

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

I bought a little secondhand system in the weekend to confirm that the sticks aren't functioning properly:

Asrock 880GMH/USB3 (with BIOS P1.00)
AMD AthlonII X2 250

Unfortunately, the results have left me more confused:

-- tested seperately in slot3, they will work at 1333Mhz 9-9-9-24-1T at 1.40v and 1.50v (CPUNB voltage was 1.2275v)
-- tested seperately in slot3, they will work at 1600Mhz 8-8-8-24-2T at 1.40v and 1.45v (CPUNB voltage was on Auto; I didn't test 1.50v as I did the 3+4 test first and they didn't like 1.50v then).

-- tested together in slot3+4, I could not get them to work at 1333Mhz 9-9-9-24-1T
-- tested together in slot3+4, they managed to pass MemTest86+ a couple of times at 1600Mhz 8-8-8-24-2T, specifically at 1.40v (with Auto CPUNB voltage) and another session at 1.45v (which needed CPUNB voltage of 1.275v) but the system was unwilling to POST the day after at the same settings and I could not repeat the success in other sessions with different CPUNB voltages, or at 1.35v or 1.50v DIMM voltages.

So now I'm not sure whether these sticks would show up as defective during an RMA as they seem to run fine seperately and passed the MemTest86+ twice on 1600Mhz settings though just for 1 session. If they happen to work and RMA is rejected, it'll have cost me twice the original price (€82.50).

During the failed tests on the Asrock/X2 system, the errors really start rolling continuously and then the system becomes unwilling to POST, which is somewhat different from the tests on my Gigabyte/X6 system where the errors just gradually add up and the system never has trouble POSTing. Could this be an indication of timing errors? Here are the timings I use on the Asrock/X2 which has a lot more ram options:

-- For 1333Mhz:

CL     ...:  9 
TRCD   ...:  9
TRP    ...:  9
TRAS   ...: 24
TRTP   ...:  5
TRRD   ...:  4
TWTR   ...:  5
TWR    ...: 10
TRC    ...: 33
MA Timing :  1  (CommandRate ?)

-- For 1600Mhz:

CL     ...:  8
TRCD   ...:  8
TRP    ...:  8
TRAS   ...: 24
TRTP   ...:  6
TRRD   ...:  5
TWTR   ...:  6
TWR    ...: 12
TRC    ...: 36
MA Timing :  2  (CommandRate ?)

-- The following settings are left to Auto, values:

TRWTWB ...:  9
TRWTTO ...:  8
TWRRD  ...:  2
TWRWR  ...:  3
TRDRD  ...:  4
TRFC0 ...: 110ns
TRFC1 ...: 110ns

-- Channel A and B can be set independently for these:

ADDR/CMD Delay...: 22/64
ADDR/CMD Setup...: 1
CS/ODT Delay  ...: 0
CS/ODT Setup  ...: 1/2

CKE Drive     ...: 1.50x
CS/ODT Drive  ...: 1.50x
ADDR/CMD Drive...: 1.50x
CLK Drive     ...: 1.50x
Data Drive    ...: 1.00x
DQS Drive     ...: 1.00x
Processor ODT ...: 60 ohms

-- And also:
Memory Controller Mode ...: Unganged
Power Down Enable      ...: Disabled
Bank Interleaving      ...: Auto
Channel Interleaving   ...: HASH 2

Community Manager

Hi cptKangaroo,

Will you be RMAing them with us directly or with a vendor? We will not deny the request if you send them to us as long as they are not damaged in any way that would void the warranty (this would be the label being removed, etc). At this point you may also try calling our support group directly we would be happy to help you out further with the return. Our contact information can be found in my signature. I am sorry for the inconvenience!!

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

[ Edited ]

I really appreciate your support, but I think I'll cut my losses and move on. The costs I've incurred so far are still recuperable to an extent while sending them off only increases the bill (and time).

I'm chalking this up to Gigabyte claiming in their mobo specs that 1.5v sticks will work, when their BIOS doesn't even have the option to set voltages below 1.60v. I would've bought 1.60v+ sticks if I'd known that beforehand.

I don't know whether the sticks are truly malfunctioning as a pair but if it can help in some quality assessment, here are the serial numbers:

*removed personal information*

Thank you for your help!

Community Manager

I am sorry to hear about the cost and the time loss. Thanks for providing as much information as you have so we can continue to looking at this issue. 

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

A very late update but I thought I'd share my happiness as well: 

I recently bought an Intel system and the sticks now seem to work fine with this one (on an ASUS B85M-E board), even together with a different 2x4GB set of ram with very similar timings. The XMP profile works so it's a 4x4GB setup with CL8-8-8-24-2T at 1600Mhz, despite the other set being 1.60v at that speed Smiley Happy

I've populated them with each set on a seperate memorychannel but I was wondering if motherboards typically apply voltages and timings per channel, or do they look at each slot individually so population order doesn't really matter anyway?

Highlighted
Community Manager

@cptKangaroo Thanks for the update. It really depends on the board. Your board runs in dual channel, so yours would look at each pair of memory installed. 

Want to be a Super User?