memtest86 hammer test fail

Kilobyte Kid

memtest86 hammer test fail

I bought a 8gb ballistix tactical ddr3l kit. It failed the new hammer test of memtest86 6.0. so i sended it back and got a replacement. The replacments failed the test too.

I read that this is a common Problem of ddr3 memory. So is it normal to not pass this test or did i just got two bad kits and a third would be fine ...

Cheers
7 Replies
Community Manager

Re: memtest86 hammer test fail

Hi Bishamon,

I am very sorry for the issues that you you are experiencing with your memory. Are you having system issues with the memory or are you running the test and it shows the failure?

What system are these memory modules in? What is the part number on the memory module? It would be best to verify the compatibility of the memory with the system, too.

Thanks in advance for this information!

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Hi YogiH,

i am running a brand new asus z97i plus with latest firmware with an i5 4690. The part number is BLT4G3D1608T3LX0.16FER2 each.

I tried g.skill in meantime and this memory fails the test too.

I am talking about the problem adressed in these slides:

http://users.ece.cmu.edu/~omutlu/pub/dram-row-hammer_kim_talk_isca14.pdf

The test is implemented in MemTest86 6.0 beta 3

Community Manager

Hi Bishamon,

We have had any issues reported on this memory yet. So it doesn't appear to be a consistent issue with these memory modules and your system. If you are experiencing performance issues with these modules, please contact us directly and we would be happy to check into it further. Our contact information can be found in my signature below.

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

I have an MSI X99S SLI PLUS motherboard and Intel 5820k processor that I just built into a system. I am seeing multiple freezes in Windows without blue screens. The only thing I can do is power off at the switch and reboot. I am currently running Memtest86 and have already seen errors during the hammer test. I have 2 sticks of 8GB Ballistix memory, model BLS8G4D240FSA. 

Kilobyte Kid

I think there may be some information in the MSI forum that may help users here. It seems that the memory that I bought and others have bought come with 2400 MHz as the spec'ed speed. However, the processor I have (and is referenced in the link) has a memory controller spec'ed for 2133 MHz. I have manually set my memory speed to 2133 and am using it now normally. I will try to post back if there are any issues after this change. 

Bit Baby

[ Edited ]

This seems like a problem that is universal to all DRAM though. Did you read the slides you posted?

You can't beat physics: if there's EM coupling, there's EM coupling -- take a look at Slide 19.

Replacing the RAM isn't going to fix anything.

Highlighted
Crucial Employee

Ballistix parts for the most part are going to fail the Row Hammer test. There is no reason to be alarmed by this however, since it’s simply a matter of the test not playing well with certain builds of memory. Row Hammer just so happens to hate something about the architecture behind lots of our Ballistix parts, so it’s easily flagged. Row Hammers tests sensitivity is probably why it’s not a common benchmark across most memory testing applications.

So long as your system is stable and the memory is passing everything else, there isn’t anything you should be worried about.