2 wire or 4 wire power cable?

Bit Baby

2 wire or 4 wire power cable?

OK, I'm a newbie! I am waiting on my new 240 GB SSD, and trying to make sure I have right cables for it. I am keeping my existing 1 TB for data storage, and will put Windows 7 and other programs on SSD. Question; I find the SATA cables to connect the MOBO and SSD, but what do I need to power it?  I have spare 4 wire Molex's in my desktop; but some of the Molex to Sata I find have 2 wires and some have 4 wires. Does it make any difference? I'm looking at a combo cable, where one end has 22 contact connector to plug on to SSD, and then one smallish SATA connector for the MOBO, and another that would go to a 4 pin Molex. But on that combo cable, there are only 2 wires coming from the 4 pin Molex...  Is that OK? Smiley Frustrated  Thanks in advance!!

2 Replies
Highlighted
Bank and Slot Hot Shot

Re: 2 wire or 4 wire power cable?

the molex adapter (two wire) is fine

Bit Baby

Re: 2 wire or 4 wire power cable?

[ Edited ]

m0fus wrote:

the molex adapter (two wire) is fine

Thanks! But would the 4 wire cable be fine also? I haven't  bought either one yet...Smiley Indifferent

Also, I notice some of the cables are called " Slim Sata " ...  Is that what I want, or do I specifically NOT want the " Slim " one? It's confusing to me!  Smiley Surprised