AHCI vs IDE - Any Difference or Preference

Kilobyte Kid

AHCI vs IDE - Any Difference or Preference

I recently built a system using a Gigabyte GA-Z68XUD3-B3 motherboard and Crucial 64GB SSD (CT064M4SSD2).  I would swear I had the BIOS set to AHCI when I installed Windows 7, but after install, see that it is at IDE, and no amount of BIOS changes to AHCI or edits to the registry will permit SSD use in AHCI.  Looks like reinstall with AHCI enabled in the BIOS or live with IDE. 

Does AHCI or IDE make any difference with the Crucial 64GB drive?  I can find no good agreement on this, but maybe there is something more definitive with the Crucial drive.  The drive holds the OS, MS Office, and two other small applications, with less than half the capacity used.  It is connected to a SATA3 connector on the motherboard.

Thanks.

- Phil

6 Replies
Tracer Lite

Re: AHCI vs IDE - Any Difference or Preference

definately better in achi mode, you have no NCQ in IDE mode,  and you should be able to use a registry fix with a reboot to fix that, no need to reinstall

RIVE X79 with 3960x
3 x EVGA 580 HC2
16 GB Gskills 2133
2 x Plextor M3P 128 gb
2 x M4 128 GB in R0
1 x M4 128GB storage
Thermaltake 1200W PSU x 2
Kilobyte Kid

I wish the registry fix would allow selection of AHCI in the BIOS, but it won't.  That registry start value can be changed from the original "3" to "0" and the BIOS set to AHCI, and Windows will not start.  In short, AHCI prohibits Windows from loading no matter what the registry value is. 

- Phil

Tracer Lite

i would try a different bios then, I also am on a gigabyte mobo and it should most definately let you boot in achi mode, may have something to do with that ssd caching on the z68 mobo

RIVE X79 with 3960x
3 x EVGA 580 HC2
16 GB Gskills 2133
2 x Plextor M3P 128 gb
2 x M4 128 GB in R0
1 x M4 128GB storage
Thermaltake 1200W PSU x 2
Bit Baby

[ Edited ]
I thought AHCI is better than IDE right?
If you want to learn more about the difference between ahci vs ide click on the link now.
Community Manager

Hi Phil,

We would always recommend running our drives in AHCI over IDE.  There will be a pretty big performance drop if you run the drive in IDE.

I would recommend contacting Gigabyte directly to see if they have a work around of BIOS update that allows your motherboard to run in AHCI.  You will certainly notice a difference in performance between the two of them.

If you do have any other questions at all, please don't hesitate to ask. 

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
JEDEC Jedi

[ Edited ]

This was a thread resurrection from 6 years ago.  I'd hope the OP is all sorted now. Smiley Very Happy

Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!