Any MX300 TLC Voltage Drift / Data Retention issues?

Kilobyte Kid

Any MX300 TLC Voltage Drift / Data Retention issues?

[ Edited ]

Has Crucial solved the issue of voltage-drift related slowdowns on static / old data caused by the combination of TLC + sub-20nm process on the new MX300 SSD's? I ask because although the ***Edited to remove Crucial competitor*** were plagued by this, some people have been posting SSDReadSpeedTester screenshots of the BX200 seemingly suffering from the same thing:-

Has anyone with an MX300 older than 8 weeks ran SSDReadSpeedTester to see how fast static data is being read back? Do Crucial techies know if the MX300 solves this by doing a periodic refresh? It's stuff like this that leaves a lot of us pretty wary over "small node" TLC drives, and some clarification would go a long way to assuage concerns of long-term reliability / performance consistency. Thanks.

5 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Any MX300 TLC Voltage Drift / Data Retention issues?

[ Edited ]

MX300 uses 3D TLC NAND and should behave much better than 16nm planar TLC NAND.

Below is the data from MX300 that has been installed in notebook on August 11th. It has an older M0CR011 firmware and won't be updated to newer version.

All the data has been cloned from previous drive so all of it is about 16 weeks old. It consist of 424598 mostly small files. I do not have 8 weeks old data from fresh install yet.

2016-12-01 13.47.04 Results for C.png

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid

[ Edited ]

Hi Bogdan. I'd really be interested in seeing those results, unfortunately the pic isn't showing up for me (just a small square with a grey triangle in). Is there any way of reposting it (or adding a direct link to the pic instead of embedding)? Thanks.

Edit: Also what size node does the MX300 use? There's no actual description of how "big" the newer 3D cells are in any review.

JEDEC Jedi

I don't know the node size for this NAND. But take a look here - it seems they claim their 3D NAND can have roughly the same number of electrons as their planar 50nm process.

Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

Hello, BSim500 - it's Glaring_Mistake from over at Anandtech here.
Was browsing the Crucial forums when I ran across this thread.

I've got an MX300 being tested in the same way as that BX200.
Can't say for sure if they've solved the problem with voltage drift but read speeds do not drop as fast as they do for the BX200 at least.
See for yourself: 2017-01-09 19.42.27 Results for O.png
It is too early to tell if it does suffer from voltage drift however.

Since it looks like they've gone with a 20nm lithography for their 3D NAND it doesn't have as much of a margin as it would have if they went with 40nm+ like most expected.
Basing the lithography on the fact that a certain close partner of Micron released a drive with 3D MLC NAND with a 20nm lithography so in want of any indication otherwise I'm going to see it as most likely that they went with the same lithography for their 3D TLC NAND.
Even 15-16nm TLC NAND can handle voltage drift pretty well though as long as it's paired with a controller capable of compensating for it.

Of course read speeds with the MX300 are unimpressive even when reading entirely new data which seems to be because they are not as good as some competitors at writing firmware for Marvell controllers.

JEDEC Jedi

Here is my other MX300 750GB installed in different system. There is nothing we should worry about, I believe. Average read speed of 501 MB/s is not the best possible for SATA SSD but it still strong for this kind of drive with TLC NAND imho.

2017-01-20 09.46.06 Results for C.png