Asking for your help in advance (Crucial MX300)

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

Asking for your help in advance (Crucial MX300)

I have ordered and should receive Thursday a new Crucial MX300 that I want to use as additional storage in my PC.  ASUS motherboard, Win 10 Pro, more than enough PSU.  I currently have one other SSD (boot drive) and a SATA HD, and a burner.  For the past three days I have been trying to get a new SAMSUNG 850 EVO installed, and the drive would not format, and so I sent it back and ordered a Crucial one to replace it.  My question(s) - is there anything I need to know that is peculiar to Crucial drives that would help me in the process?  I know how to hook it up, go to Disk Management and follow steps to format it.  Is there anything else I should be aware of, or wary of?  I'm 74 yrs old and have quite a chore when I have to crawl under my desk to attempt this procedure, and so I'm just trying to ensure I only have to do it once this time.  Beside my age, I'm not very computer smart, and that is why I am here on your forum for the first time.  Any advice or recommendations you will share will be very much appreciated.

6 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Asking for your help in advance (Crucial MX300)

[ Edited ]

There shouldn't be anything else you need to do if it's not a boot drive.  Plug in the sata data and power leads and then go into disk management as you say.  From there it will prompt you to initialise it.  Then you right click it and create a new volume and job is done.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Thank you very much for your response.  I'll do it.  With my "former" Samsung I tried to do the same, but someplace I must have screwed up, 'cause it just would not format.  I  had even gotten to the point where a drive letter was chosen, all that stuff, but no format.  Just kept telling me Windows wouldn't complete it.  Wanted me to make sure it was hooked up correctly and that it wasn't "read only".  I googled the "read only" part and did something with a command prompt and it told me it was not, so I don't know what was going on.  This time I am even breaking out a new SATA cable to connect it.  Thanks again

Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

Glad to report the installation went "as advertised".  I was amazed at how quickly my new SSD formatted in the process.  Thanks to all you folks there.  If you will permit me one last question - do I need to change the BIOS for this drive to AHCI?  I have not one clue as to what it means, but I do seem to remember when I got my other SSD (used as boot drive) back a couple of years ago, it was recommended.  I googled this question and I must confess, the info and responses were way over my head.  As usual, I am trying to avoid problems now and/or later.  For info, I am using this new drive strictly as storage and a game of two.

JEDEC Jedi

Normally that's set system wide rather than per drive.  So if you've already set it for your boot SSD (and it's better that it is) then you should be good.  If you're not yet setup for AHCI - let me know before you change it since there's a Windows tweak you'd need to make first.

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Well, I know that if I go into my BIOS that each of the SATA ports seems to have its own setting (AHCI and some other) that you can set.  My boot drive is doing what I would call well, and my new Crucial drive is doing fine.  Maybe I should leave it alone?  Maybe you could give me the aforementioned "tweak" so maybe I will learn something (high doubtful when you are 74 yrs old).  Thanks again for your patience with me, and your response.

JEDEC Jedi

[ Edited ]

The change to make is only if you;re already in IDE since Windows won't boot if you change the transfer mode between IDE and AHCI after install.  If you're already booting in AHCI, you should already be able to switch your other drives to AHCI if they're individually controlled (I've never seen that before to be honest!).

There's no reason to not run AHCI really - it'll make any drive faster.  A useful thing to note is that if you do change it and it doesn't support AHCI - not to panic.  It would bluescreen during boot but it does no harm - you can just set it back again in the BIOS and then look into the tweak.

Here's the change you would have had to make for reference anyway:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/22631-enable-ahci-windows-8-windows-10-after-installation.html

Want to be a Super User?