BIOS does not recognized SSD MX300

Kilobyte Kid

BIOS does not recognized SSD MX300

Upgrading an old Dell Vostro 1500 from SATA H/D to Crucial MX300 SSD. Problem Statement: when SSD is installed in the notebook as the boot device BOIS cannot recognize the SSD. System cannot boot, No Hard drive found. Running the diag tool and got Del Error 2000-0141. However , the SSD is being recognized as a storage device while connected to the USB port and booting from H/D. System Info: OS: XP SP3 Bios: Latest Dell BIOS A06 Cloning tool: Crucial SSD install Kit. (Acroni True Image) SSD was cloned as one primary partition via USB to SATA cable Other thing that I tried and did not work: 1. Cloned the SSD using Aomei Partition. 2. Cloned the SSD using Macrium Reflect. Changed the BIOS SATA operation from ATA to AHCI I have looked at many different forums and I am running out of options. Any help is greatly appreciated. I intended to give this laptop to someone who never had a computer and cannot effort to buy one. It is a good cause.
3 Replies
Bit Baby

Re: BIOS does not recognized SSD MX300

What a coincidence! Exactly the same SSD hard drive and the same issue: after being cloned and put into the laptop with Win 7 (and not an old one). It can't be cogazized, no show in Bios, and no hard drive found while booting up the laptop PC with this SSD! But it can be recoganized a storage drive from a docking station. Any clue?

JEDEC Jedi

Since your computer is new, check for a BIOS update for it.  There was a double post (I guess something weird is going on with the forum since you have three??) and the discussion continued in the other one so keep an eye on it: http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/BIOS-does-not-recognized-SSD-MX300/td-p/177321

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Highlighted
Crucial Employee

I second the BIOS update, that system is very old. When switching to AHCI are you're sure the drive is not detecting in the BIOS? That seems like it could easily be the culprit, especially with an older chipset. A word about cloning XP, you're not going to have a very easy time doing that successfully. Assuming you have an older HDD in the system with a 512 alignment, the image isn’t going to work very well if at all on a new SSD, designed for 4k alignments. You’re much better off pre-formatting the SSD connected to a Windows 7,8,10 system to create the 4k alignment, then installing the SSD, and performing a clean install of XP on top of the 4k partition, making sure not to delete it. When you do this make sure to have the system set to AHCI mode since that’s the preferred mode that will get you more performance out of the drive. When performing a clean install of XP it’s possible it won’t detect the SSD, and you may need to pre-load the system ATA drivers to get it to detect; this was almost always required when doing a clean install of XP. New versions of Windows have much better SATA/AHCI drivers which means you rarely have to do this. Below is a video showing how to pre-install drivers during an XP load, and the other link is to the Vostro drivers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oDT40ewh90

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/vostro-1500/drivers

Crucial_Benny, Micron CPG Support, US

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France | Global
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?