Bad blocks and read errors on MX300 disappear! Is this a self-healing SSD?

Kilobyte Kid

Bad blocks and read errors on MX300 disappear! Is this a self-healing SSD?

After about 10 months of use in my Mac Pro, the 2TB MX300 SSD suddenly started generating read errors during backup operations.  When checked with TechTool Pro 8, it repeatedly found several hundred bad block that were unreadable.

I started the RMA process and pulled the SSD out in preparation for shipment.  I used Disk Utility to securely erase (6 passes) the SSD; out of curiosity I did another TechTool Pro 8 surface scan and found zero bad blocks!

My question is:  is this SSD reliable now and usable as my boot disk, or should I still return it?  I'm concerned this could happen again in the future; am I right?

3 Replies
Kilobyte Kid

Re: Bad blocks and read errors on MX300 disappear! Is this a self-healing SSD?

Can anyone comment on this?  Thanks!

JEDEC Jedi

Could you post SMART data of the drive?

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid

I ran several SMART checks and they all came up perfect, with no issues. However, my backup software was reporting multiple read errors. Subsequent surface scans showed large numbers of bad blocks with unreadable data.

I started the RMA process, removed the SSD and did a secure erase (6 passes). Out of pure curiosity I repeated the surface scan and all read errors were gone.

What concerns me is the unknown reliability going forward. This is my main boot drive and I can’t have this happen again. I need to know if I should still return and replace the drive, even though it seems OK now. Any thoughts?