Brand New Crucial MX500 SSD not detected in BIOS ? (But other SSD's work ?)

Bit Baby

Brand New Crucial MX500 SSD not detected in BIOS ? (But other SSD's work ?)

Hi all, I just got a brand new Crucial MX500. 

My problem is that it isn't detected in my BIOS. I have tried in my main rig and it is detected in the BIOS and Windows 10 right away as "Unformated". So everything good there, it's not DOA.

My problem is, in my secondary PC, the one which I try to install this SSD, it is simply not detected by the BIOS.

That PC has a motherboard pulled from a Lenovo ThinkCentre M92p. The rest is all aftermarket.

The SSD does not seem to show up in the BIOS at all, despite trying various SATA ports, even e-SATA.

I am currently using an SSD, that's the thing, I really am unsure why. That SSD which I am currently using to write this, works flawlessly.

The only difference that I can tell between that SSD and the new Crucial SSD, would be that it has NAND, that's all.

So why would one work, while the other one remains undetected by the BIOS ?

Specs : 

Motherboard : See Photo Attached Below 

CPU : Intel Core i5 3470

RAM : 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz

GPU : GeForce GTX 970

SSD : Corsair Force LS 60GB 

Here is a screenshot from CPU-Z about the motherboard :

sss.png

Tags (5)
2 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Brand New Crucial MX500 SSD not detected in BIOS ? (But other SSD's work ?)

Check for BIOS update for this motherboard. You can also check if there are any BIOS settings like 'Quick Boot' and if they are there, you could try to disable such features. You can also try to reset BIOS settings to defaults.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Brand New Crucial MX500 SSD not detected in BIOS ? (But other SSD's work ?)

Try using another SATA cable and power connector.   It would be interesting to see if you have the same problem with the MX500 connected using USB.

Power the system on with the MX500 installed and let it sit for a minute in case it is just taking the system a little longer to intialize/communicate/negotiate with the SSD, then reboot it and check the BIOS/UEFI settings to see if the SSD appears.

Some systems may have trouble with larger 2TB+ drives.

The two SSDs you have are most likely using different SATA controllers and perhaps you are finding an odd incompatibility.   You might want to contact Crucial Support & Lenovo and report the issue as it should be fixable with a firmware update.  It is hard to say which might be responsible.  Lenovo sure seems to have lots of firmware updates for the system though.