Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Kilobyte Kid
knxg

Re: C300 Disk Freeze-ups in Windows 7

in reply to Finnoybu

I have the newest firmware and the hotfix. I found that in the first 2 weeks after installing it, I no longer had any long freezes. However, in the past day or two, I've started having long freezes again. I'm not sure what is causing this new revival of freezes, but it is very irritating.

Kilobyte Kid
fry178

[ Edited ]

turned off TRIM just for testing it. no difference...

now its getting worse. i get a BSOD while using the pc within 20-60min.

same os-image on my patriot ssd or wd-hdd does not show any probs...

Kilobyte Kid
knxg

As an update, today I have had three unrecoverable freezes within the span of about 30 minutes. Again, I am running the newest firmware and have installed the hotfix. These freezes are different than those I experienced pre-hotfix in that they happen in all types of situations and that there is no recovery; I am forced to restart the computer.

The first happened after I logged into Windows 7 and just left the computer running for 10 minutes. When I came back down, without even having opened a non-start up program, I found the system frozen.

The second was after the next restart when I went online. I opened a new tab in Firefox and it froze.

The third was just after the next restart when I went to check my system settings in Windows. It froze in one of the menus.

This is completely unacceptable: the drive is incredibly unstable. When will Crucial acknowledge these issues and start finding a solution???

Kilobyte Kid
fry178

[ Edited ]

for my part?

dont care how long.

just returned the drive. got store credit.

new one 280/250MBsec with sandforce chip and 30% cheaper...

planned on getting crucials OCing ddr3, but im capable of learning, so i got corsair...

since i do not own, nor plan on owning any crucial hardware in the future, im out (forum).

Happy new year and good luck for anyone else thats stuck with the same probs....

Kilobyte Kid
MikeAustin

in reply to fry178

An interesting thread. It is my first post here, following freezes on my C300 in Windows XP Pro on a Lenovo T410s running AHCI (Intel 9.6.6.1001).

The laptop is just 4 weeks old and has been runing fine until 2 days ago. In the morning, the hard disk froze under low system load. I waited a couple of minutes, but no response so I hit the power off. Got a BSOD (win32k.sys 0x0000007A). In the evening, I booted up with no problem. Next morning on boot up, I got “2100 HDD0 (hard disk drive) initialisation error (1)". I switched off and started again and it was OK. After about 3 hours use, the disk froze for about 50 secs and then continued as normal. I have checked the EventViewer, where there is "\Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation" followed by "\Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period." I am hoping that this is not the start of an HDD failure.

There has been one change in my system that I suspect - a new Lenovo Advantage Toolbox installation. This checks the system occasionally. I get occcasional pop-ups that system health is OK and the problems seem to be occuring around this. (Ironically, it seems system health was perfectly OK until this pop-up reported it!). I have disabled the schedule in this software to see what happens. I may eventually remove it.

Kilobyte Kid
Schmagagled

in reply to MikeAustin

For all the folks experiencing freezes...

I have 3 256GB C300s (FW0002) all running Win7 Pro x64, with the 9.6 Intel RST drivers in AHCI mode.

All were imaged from the OEM HD that came with the respective laptop.

The first was a Sager NP8690, then a Dell E6410, and finally a Dell E4310.

Because each of the drives was imaged (duped) using a ESATA cradle and Acronis True Image 10 I didn't realize that there was an 'alignment' issue that would reduce performance and result in stutters.

I found an alignment tool online from Paragon (there is another method using GPARTED but it's confusing and more time consuming). A google search quickly locates it.

I ran the tool on all three laptops and found that on all three the drives were not aligned. The tool then realigned the starting offset and I have not had any stuttering since. 

I mention this just in case anybody out there who imaged their new SSD from their originally installed HD didn't know there would be an issue with the starting offset reducing performance on an SSD. 

This probably doesn't have any bearing on the 'flashing to  FW0006' issue, but starting offset alignment on a SSD is an issue that will cause stuttering all by itself.

And I'm staying with FW0002 for the forseeable since "it ain't broke" I'm not going to attempt to fix it.

S

Kilobyte Kid
MikeAustin

in reply to Schmagagled

In my case, the SSD was imaged using Paragon Partition Manager. I guess, as the alignment tool comes from Paragon, alignment was OK on my drive.

Since my freezes, I have uninstalled the Lenovo Advantage Toolbox software (which performed periodic tests, including a hard disk test). There have not been any problems, yet.

Binary Boss
medeiom

Re: C300 Disk Thrashing in Windows 7 ?

in reply to jon617

I have the C300 256GB on my T400 and it was working well until the latest firmware release of 0006.

But based on your issue, the Thinkpads are not yet equipped with SATA III on their motherboards (maybe the latest T410).

They say it's a very bad idea to clone SSD's and I would probably stick to that.  Did you try downloading the Intel Matrix Storage device controllers?  This may help and you should be able to let Intel.com scan your system based on the availability of your chipsets. 

Kilobyte Kid
MikeAustin

Re: C300 Disk Thrashing in Windows 7 ?

in reply to medeiom

I am running Intel 5 Series 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller version 9.6.6.1001 dated 27/09/10. I have not had any problem since removing Lenovo Advantage Toolbox software 2 weeks ago.

Binary Boss
medeiom

in reply to jon617

How's your ThinkPad running with the Crucial SSD?  I have a T400 and want to compare some benchmarks.

Thanks

Our Latest Posts