C300 and AMD SB850 in Raid Mode?

Kilobyte Kid

C300 and AMD SB850 in Raid Mode?

[ Edited ]

Hey all, first post! Glad to be a part of the forum. I just purchased the C300 64gb SSD, and will be using it on my Asus Crosshair IV Formula. I will also be running two WD Black 500GB HDDs in Raid0 for storage and games.

I have two questions:

1. Will my SDD have the same performance boost in Raid mode (not in an array) as it would in AHCI? Of course, this is versus IDE.

2. If I run in Raid mode, but don't have the SSD as part of the array, will it be able to use Trim?

I can provide more details and how my motherboard sets up SATA/Raid if it is required. Just let me know! Thanks in advance. =)

6 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: C300 and AMD SB850 in Raid Mode?

What motherboard chipset are you using?  Intels drivers 9.6 and above support trim on an SSD that's not part of a raid array but is connected to a raid enabled controller.

And Raid includes the performance enhancing features of AHCI (which I guess is primarily the NCQ)

So if all your drives are connecting to an Intel motherboard then the answer is yes on both counts.  If not, please specify the board chipset. Smiley Happy

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Ahh, maybe I am mistaken as I do not use Intel boards or CPU's. My chipset is the 890FX/850 for AMD AM3 CPU's. Is trim only available to Intel family processors and their boards?

JEDEC Jedi

[ Edited ]

Trim is available for pretty much all chipsets using the Microsoft driver.  But you can't use the microsoft driver with raid - you have to use the chipset driver.  Intel support Trim in the conditions stated above.

I'm pretty sure AMD are the only other company to have added Trim support to their own drivers in AHCI mode.  But I simply don't know about raid mode.

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

You have to remember though, the SSD will not be part of the Raid array, just setup in Raid mode. The Raid array consists of the two HDDs in Raid0. Anything else not in a Raid is considered in AHCI. Though, I guess that answers my first question? Haha.

Well thanks for the help. Smiley Happy

JEDEC Jedi

[ Edited ]

A single drive on a raid controller is not just AHCI though.  It's something entirely different known as a 'non-member raid disk'.  It counts as raid array - just across 1 disk.  So the driver needs to be capable of passing on trim in that situation and not just simply say 'meh, it's a raid array - i shan't bother'

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

True enough. Guess I will just have to wait and see when I get the SSD... Again, thanks for the help.