Checking Media [Fail]

Kilobyte Kid

Checking Media [Fail]

Hi. I have a Dell Inspiron15R SE, and have just purchased and installed an MX500 1TB, plus 2x4GB of ram. I am running win10, and installation was without any problems. But after the installation of the Storage Executive, the machine when rebooted, immediately halts at boot to a black screen, with a message of 'Checking Media'. Then after about 20-30 seconds declares [Fail]. Then repeats 'Checking Media' and again [Fail]. The machine then boots normally, and as far as I know is fine. This is my first SSD so I'm not sure what the performance should be like. It seems faster but not much, this may be correct. My first thought is a setting in my Bios, but I'm not sure. Any advise on this problem ?

3 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Checking Media [Fail]

This sounds like a software issue whether with CSE or Windows itself or other third party system software.   Check any software which would be scanning your drives at boot.   Software designed to scan a hard drive for bad blocks or other issues may not work correctly when used on an SSD.   You may be able to find some information in Event Viewer or other system/application logs.

If you are installing a clean version of the OS, then it is advised to set the SATA protocol to AHCI mode so that you can apply firmware updates to the SSD. 

When upgrading multiple items, I personally do them one at a time to make sure they appear stable.   It makes finding the problem a lot easier.

Kilobyte Kid

Thank you so much for your reply, I was begining to dispair. I will go back to basics and reinstall a clean OS, and see where it goes. Thank you again for your direction and help.

Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

If you make any changes to the SATA controller or protocols after the OS is installed the system usually won't boot.