Clean install or clone?

Bit Baby

Clean install or clone?

I am thinking of buying the MX500 and need to decide between a clean install or cloning my existing HD. I am running Windows 7. I know that cloning is easier and quicker, and if I clean install I will need to load up all my programmes and drivers again (Office, printer software etc). Will I notice an appreciable difference in running speed if I do a fresh install rather than clone? Won't all the rubbish that Windows 7 has picked up be transferred and slow down the OS if I clone?

3 Replies
Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Clean install or clone?

Really it's up to you and you've more or less covered all the pros and cons yourself to be honest!  A fresh install that will be a hassle to do vs a quick clone complete with any clutter you've picked up over the years.  If your install is as old as Windows 7 - I'd probably run with the re-install if it were me!

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

I've always been partial to re-insalls myself even more so when going from a hard drive to an SSD.   If your system is slow or you suspect your hard drive is failing, then I would highly recommend a re-install.  You are correct that a clone will pull over all the built up rubbish.   I always noticed an appreciable difference in a clean install.  It all comes down to time & personal preference.

If you do perform a clean install, you should check the SATA controller setting in your BIOS/UEFI settings to make sure it is set to AHCI mode which is needed to update the SSD firmware.   If you need to change this setting, do so just before installing Windows so it will automatically install the needed drivers.

JEDEC Jedi

On top of that, you can simply clone the drive and decide if you are satisfied with the effect. After that you can always perform clean install and spend some time on reinstalling applications Smiley Happy

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!