Clone to a New Computer

Kilobyte Kid

Clone to a New Computer

I want to clone my present computer. Its drive is a Crucial_CT240M500SSD1
My plan is to...
Buy a new computer.
Remove its hard drive.
Buy a new CT240M500SSD1
Use the cloning software to copy the old Crucial drive to the new Crucial drive.
Install the new Crucial Drive in the new computer.
Save the drive that came with the new computer as a backup. The new computer is running Windows 10. The cloned computer is running Win.7 Professional with SP1., which is the OS I want on the new computer.
I have an image on an external drive, and repair disk, created with Windows. I have been advised not to restore this image but rather clone the old Crucial SSD to the new SSD with the Acronis software that came with the new Crucial SSD.
Please advise me about my plan. Do you see problems?

Jack 

10 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Clone to a New Computer

I am not a clone specilist but I see following problems:

1. Drivers - as far as I understand there would be two different systems (lets call them source system A and target system B) and you want to clone system A drive and put cloned drive into system B. Note that on system A there are bunch of drivers installed, chipset, storage, graphics, sound and more, that may or may not work in new system B. If you would be able to boot new B system at all I suggest that after successful boot you should remove all old drivers taken over from system A and install all necessary drivers dedicated to system B.

2. Windows licence problem 1 - I am not sure but I believe that with such significant hardware change, Windows may become non-genuine and you might be required to activate Windows again. You can hope it would work.

3. Windows licence problem 2 - If you would be going to continue using system A you would have the same Windows licence running on both systems A and B. That wouldn't be a good plan I believe.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid

Thank you for things to consider.

Jack

Kilobyte Kid

[ Edited ]

Transplanting Windows like this is a hugely bad plan and will certainly result in hours of futile fiddling until you give up. If you do get Windows working like this, it'll always be a problem. Due to licence issues though, it would only even stand a chance if the edition you currently use is a retail boxed version (or digital equivalent) which will allow you to transfer the key (OEM versions will not, as they key themselves to the motherboard on your PC). In such a case, clean install it. As mentioned above, you cannot use the same key on both PCs at once even if it is retail. It will detect this if you use your PCs online and will require you to call MS to reactivate it (and explain yourself). It may work if both PCs have the same version of Windows on it (such as Win7 Home). Also, consider whether you want a 64bit or 32bit install on your new PC and what you currently have. You can't change an image from 32 to 64 bit.

Consider using W10 which, if it doesn't come with it, will be a free upgrade from the Windows OS the PC comes with (assuming it isn't an old Vista box). It isn't bad for non-touch PCs. Touch PCs may prefer W8.

Kilobyte Kid

Thank you. You are the 2nd post. I'm definitely considering a new plan.

Current computer is a Toshiba Satellite A665 running Win7 Pro with SP1.

New refurb computer is same but running Win7 Home Premium.

I'll upgrade Home to Pro and download most recent Toshiba drivers.

Then install the minimum apps and utilities necessary.

I did buy a new crucial SSD the same as I have in the current computer.

I'll copy the contents of the new computer to the new SSD and swap the drives.

What problems do you see with this plan?

Thanks, Jack

Kilobyte Kid

[ Edited ]

No probs with that plan. I would always value a clean install, but that plan should work. I suggest, though, considering buying a retail box of Windows Pro rather than an upgrade for an OEM version. It will cost more now, but next time you will be able to reinstall it on your future PC without licence problems. No more paying for Pro upgrades, which are not exactly cheap. But... budgets. Depends if you have the spare cash now.

Kilobyte Kid

Need more help. New box is rune ning Win10 Home., not Win7. I didn't expect that.   I will leave it and clone the existing drive wjith the Acronis software I already have. Then I'll swap the drives. The disk I have says: Crucial Acronis True Image HD Revision 5294. Doesn't want to run under Win10. Do I need different software?

Jack

Kilobyte Kid

Why clone a fresh install? Just make a W10 home usb stick or dvd with the MS provided utility (search & download) then make a fresh install in the new drive.
Kilobyte Kid

Leaving town this week. I may need to get clarification about your request. I'll reply again to this message next week. Thanks for your help.

Jack

Kilobyte Kid

I'm struggling with the same problem. I'm trying to migrate to a new computer with a new SSD. I tried an experiment by cloning my old PC to the new one (using the Acronis software that Crucial provided). I then updated all the drivers and all seemed well -- until I noticed that the Windows Product ID and the Lenovo serial number and machine type all matched the old PC. I assume that means that I'm not actually getting the right drivers for my hardware. I also fear that I'll run into Windows authentication problems at some point. And Lenovo's software is picking up the warranty info for my old PC (maybe not a real problem, but who knows).

Maybe none of those are fatal problems, but I'm wondering whether it's possible to 1) clone my old PC without copying Windows or 2) Clone everything, then do an in-place Windows recovery to get the original Windows ID, machine type, and serial number back.

The reason for going through all this trouble is that I have hundreds of apps that I don't want to reinstall and update settings for.

Have any of you succeeded at this? I've used Laplink in the past, with mixed results.