Cloning a Macbook running Bootcamp to an SSD

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

Cloning a Macbook running Bootcamp to an SSD

In order to try to get a little bit more life out of an early 2009 Macbook, I was thinking of buying a Crucial SSD to replace the HDD.  However, in the numerous articles that I have seen, it states that the cloning of both the Mac OS drive partition(s) and the Bootcamp partition cannot be done using a single software tool.  Many of the articles (including the one on this site) are many years old.  I wondered if that is still the case or whether things have moved on since then.  Is there an EASY way of cloning the entire HDD to an SSD?

I should add, that the reason that we run Windows on the Macbook is that nobody in the house has any knowledge of using Macs - just to complicate the issue.  So any instructions would have to be very simple!

To complicate matters further, the Windows OS that was installed was Windows 7 but was upgraded to Windows 10.  Therefore we do not have any Windows 10 installation discs.

Anyone done this recently? Any other advice?

Tags (3)
5 Replies
Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Cloning a Macbook running Bootcamp to an SSD

Unfortunately cloning  a system with a Bootcamp drive still requires two applications.  Here are the basic Crucial instructions for cloning an Apple system including Bootcamp, but it will not clone the hidden Recovery partition neccessary for OSX Filevault.

Personally I would perform a clean install of OSX and use Migration Assistant during the final setup stage to transfer your user accounts, settings & applications to the new SSD.   This ensures you have the hidden Recovery partition necessary for FileVault and tools for repairing OSX.   Then follow the instructions for cloning a Bootcamp partition.

If you don't use OSX, then you may be able to just follow the instructions for cloning the Windows Bootcamp partition  (I'm not sure if it requires the OSX installation).     You can use Bootcamp Assistant on your original drive to create a Bootcamp partition on the new SSD.

Windows 7/8/10 installation media can be downloaded direct from Microsoft.  I believe Bootcamp Assistant provides a method of creating a bootable Windows installer for Apple which includes the necessary Apple drivers.

If you have a white unibody Macbook with the rubber bottom case, be very careful removing the bottom case as the rubber part comes off very easily and cannot be reattached to the metal frame of the Bottom Case.

Kilobyte Kid

Thanks for the prompt response.

It sounds as if it is likely to be a lot fiddlier than I had hoped - so may have to wait a little while until I have pleanty of time to cope with the likely issues ...

I also need to work out how to get into the Mac side of things!

Kilobyte Kid

Well, probably against my better judgement, I went ahead and purchased a Crucial SSD (hoping that the support option would not be required) and am attempting to clone the hard drive.  Needless to say, I am now stuck.

Following your suggestion, I downloaded Acronis and attempted to clone just the Bootcamp partition to the SSD.  However, it ran and appeared to clone the Mac partition as well.  (Perhaps they've upgraded it I hoped?)  My initial optimism was changed when I tried to reboot the Macbook with the new SSD in place - it states 'No bootable device'.  If I press the option key at power up - it only offers the option to boot into Mac HD.  Somewhat surprisingly, I can boot into Mac and can see the Windows HD - but I cannot boot into it.  If I try to run Bootcamp Assistant again it says "The startup disk must be formattted as a single Mac OS Extended (journaled) volume or already partitioned by Boot Camp Assistant for installing Windows".

Any ideas?  Is there a simple fix - or is it back to square one?

JEDEC Jedi

I believe the Bootcamp cloning video mentions you need to run Startup Repair from the Windows installer after the clone is complete.   See my previous post for a link to download the Windows installer direct from Microsoft.   I think Bootcamp Assistant has an option to create a bootable Windows Installer USB drive (along with the Apple drivers).   

Reboot and access the Apple boot menu.   The Windows installer USB drive should be shown with an orange icon.    Once the Windows installer boots, select your language and click Next.   Click on the "Repair Your Computer" link in the lower left of the window.    Then select "Troubleshoot", then select "Startup Repair".

Thanks for the information about Acronis cloning the Mac partition.   You might want to run First Aid using Disk Utility (located in the Utilities folder) just to make sure the Apple filesystem is Ok.

Kilobyte Kid

My old school motto was 'perseverando vinces' meaning to persevere is to conquer - just as well!
I managed to succeed eventually but the whole process was a nightmare.  I shall probably create another post at some stage for information.  The Acronis software turned out to be as much use as a chocolate fireguard.