Crucial HDD to SSD migration software

Kilobyte Kid

Crucial HDD to SSD migration software

Hello,

Do Crucial make HDD to SSD migration software.

If so where can I find it. If not what ios the best software to use for migration purposes.

Thanks,

Nevica

4 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Crucial HDD to SSD migration software

If you buy the version with the laptop transfer kit then it includes drive cloning software.

Otherwise you can use whatever drive cloning software you desire (as long as its modern enough to know about ssd drive alignment*)

This is free: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx and will do the job.

*even if it isn't,, you can easily fix that after cloning with this which is also free: http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

I am sorry but this software is bonkers. I am literally only trying to clone the image backup, the system, and JUST the windows OS from my 1TB HDD to 275GB SSD and it's telling me I need another 632some odd GB of space on the target drive?? Even when I do successfully find enough "space" to clone, the program doesn't even launch.

Is there anyone who can just tell me how to get a working version of windows OS on my new SSD so I can boot it and install games on it?

Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

You're replying to a very old post. Smiley Happy

These days the Crucial drives ship with a copy of Acronis you can use: http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/Using-Acronis-True-Image-HD-2015/ta-p/171023

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

jimdandy wrote:

I am sorry but this software is bonkers. I am literally only trying to clone the image backup, the system, and JUST the windows OS from my 1TB HDD to 275GB SSD and it's telling me I need another 632some odd GB of space on the target drive?? Even when I do successfully find enough "space" to clone, the program doesn't even launch.

Is there anyone who can just tell me how to get a working version of windows OS on my new SSD so I can boot it and install games on it?

As posted above, I highly recommend Macrium Reflect.  Even their free edition far surpasses the dependability, backup and restoration abilities of Acronis' paid version.  Acronis has a prettier GUI and that's it.  Acronis' tech support is awful and their software installs a plethora of junk processes and lacks full end-user modification ability (i.e. able to run custom PowerShell and/or Batch files for the backup/cloning processes).

I use Macrium Home Edition on my business Lenovo ThinkPad and Dell Latitude laptops, and their Server Edition on my Windows Server 2016 Datacenter Dell enterprise server and have never had any issues doing anything including deploying to completely new hardware (HDD SAS to SSD SAS, motherboard swaps, or just HDD to SSD).  You can also download their other free utility called "viBoot" which will enable you to mount their backups as a VHD(x), allow you to navigate the backup, make changes if you so desire, and then automatically run a differential backup or incremental backup right from the modified VHD (incremental backups are only available in the paid version, along with AES encryption and multiple other security features).

Acronis is good for simple backup and restore, but when it comes to changing hardware it can be quite, well, pi*sy; particuarly when it comes to self-encrypting drives.

Macrium Reflect Free should do what you need without so much as a hickup and do it properly.  Just my .02.