Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Binary Boss
coolyou

Crucial M225 Issues

[ Edited ]

Since I had my original M225 RMA'd and received the new one, currently running, I've been experiencing issues with it since I installed it.

I called and emailed support, but they weren't very helpful, least the woman I spoke with wasn't. The minute I installed the drive I ran benchmarks and it seemed very slow then, I just gave up on contacting support because I had more things to worry about at school.

Stepping back, the first M225, was slow as well, though I called Crucial support and they suggested an Intel driver (or was it Microsoft) for my board, since the NVIDIA storage driver was known to cause some issues, that solved the problems I had then. Microsoft Generic Host Controller or something? However, when I spoke to support, noted above, the woman wasn't helpful and insisted the NVIDIA drivers will work just as well and the last technician I spoke to about this, hadn't a clue what he was talking about. Well, to put it bluntly, he obviously did since it improved the M225 performance. I just don't know what driver the other Crucial tech suggested I use, though it was a packaged driver in Windows.

Well, here I am, again, asking anyone if they still have this drive and done benchmarks on it. Need to compare if they're accurate and if my drive is funtioning properly. I've also purchased a new set of SATA cables since HD Tune Pro is suggesting an interface failure.

Userbenchmark:

http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/6478

I'll run the benchmarks again when I get the cables, see if that improves anything.

02.12.2014 8:20pm

(benchmark completed)

CRUCIAL- CT64M225 SCSI Disk Device_64GB_1GB-20140212-2006.png

CRUCIAL- CT64M22 5.29.2013 9-25-02 PM

(benchmark completed)

as-ssd-bench CRUCIAL- CT64M22 5.29.2013 9-25-02 PM.png

2013_07_05_SSD_DRIVE

(benchmark completed)

2013_07_05_SSD_DRIVE.jpg

SSDLife.png

More benchmarks done today (02.12.2014)

12-February-2014_20-47.png

Snap2.jpgSnap3.jpgSnap4.jpgSnap5.jpgSnap6.jpgSnap7.jpgSnap8.jpgSnap9.jpgSnap10.jpg

Unkown snap dates, but these are from the current drive.

Snap2.jpg

Snap2.jpg

Snap3.jpg

Snap4.jpg

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

Re: Crucial M225 Issues

in reply to coolyou

I was going to benchmark my M225 for you but whilst posting in another thread I handily found my existing M225 benchmark! http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/New-ssd-benchmark/m-p/125984#M36591

The M225 simply isn't a fast drive by todays standards.  I mean its a lot faster than a harddrive but its not a patch on the C300 that replaced it or the revisions of it (M4 and M500)

My benchmarks are faster than yours but that's mostly because Nvidia never licenced AHCI.  The one thing SSD's taught us when they came ou is that Intel made better sata ports than anyone else.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

JEDEC Jedi
bogdan

in reply to targetbsp

That's weird. SMART attributes values looks weird. And Crucial's download page list 2030 as a last firmware version.

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

[ Edited ]
in reply to bogdan

I hadn't noticed that! My drive is 2030.

I'm not aware of software that currently supports the M225's smart layout (not that I've particularly looked!).  CDI which I obviously use for the newer crucial drives no longer seems to read it correctly.

Changelogs from other manufacturers suggest 2142 fixes some high wear issues in 2030.

Binary Boss
coolyou

[ Edited ]
in reply to targetbsp

Those benchmarks seem on par to what I seen with the original M225 I had, performance was twice as better than this one and it takes ages, if not the same time as my 13 yo 36gb 15000rpm raid 0 raptors (shelved as backup OS), for the OS to load. When I got the first M225 everything loaded in a snap, but I'm still waiting on the SATA cables to arrive.

I just hope Crucial will honor the RMA, this has been an ONGOING issue since I got this replacement SSD! That support tech I spoke to after I got this SSD replacement was a total umpf.

Would you mind posting a crystal mark bench for both settings I have shown? Dang it.... forgot what software I used for the graphs below HD Tune, maybe it was Active Smart.

JEDEC Jedi
bogdan

[ Edited ]
in reply to coolyou

Oh yes, you may be right. I didn't notice that due to strange attributes values but it seems that Crucial use C7 for Ultra DMA CRC Error Rate. Let's hope new cables will sort it out for you.

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

in reply to coolyou

coolyou wrote:

Would you mind posting a crystal mark bench for both settings I have shown? Dang it.... forgot what software I used for the graphs below HD Tune, maybe it was Active Smart.

I'm afraid I can't really because the wear on my M225 is at a somewhat critical level!  And apparently I have the firmware that is bad for wear. :smileytongue: This is why I was so pleased to find an old benchmark from it.

The things not to worry about being slower on yours are the QD4, QD16, QD32 and 64-thrd speeds.  The Nvidia chipset can't do those due to lack of AHCI.  So it's the rest of the scores being 10 to 20% lower to worry about.  Having said that, I've never before seen a benchmark from this firmware. Perhaps it sacrificed a little speed for longer life?  And as said, on these old boards, the other manufactures weren't a patch on Intel for sata port quality for some reason so they could eb realistic scores.

The weird thing is that your 4k scores should still be good enough for the drive to blow a Raptor away at Windows booting. So yeah, hopefully it is indeed that cabling issue highlighted by attribute C7.

Binary Boss
coolyou

[ Edited ]
in reply to targetbsp

Well, not the cable, or the port.

I received two SATA cables and tried them both, also switched ports. Error still there. I presume it must be something with the controller on the drive.

Need an RMA.

15-February-2014_15-52.png

Still, going to have a tough time with support, guess I'll just have to ask for the manager again. The RMA Tech, the first time, refused to RMA the drive because of the sticker, blah, blah.... 2 hours arguing.  There are no labels other than the blue/white Crucial sticker. I can't even submit an online RMA to get the process going. Sheesh. Doesn't have any model number, serial number, batch number, etc... as the image they have on the site that I attached below:

label_crucial.gif

JEDEC Jedi
bogdan

in reply to coolyou

coolyou wrote:

Well, not the cable, or the port.

I received two SATA cables and tried them both, also switched ports. Error still there

Once recorded they will not vanish. They just should not go up! :smileyhappy:

Binary Boss
coolyou

in reply to bogdan

Changed the drivers to default Microsoft Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller... benchmark below, though Interface CRC Error Count contiues to grow. Also AS SSD displays pciide - BAD.

CRUCIAL-CT64M225 ATA Device_64GB_1GB-20140217-1907.png