Crucial M4 128GB cannot be detected

Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

Crucial M4 128GB cannot be detected

I've been experiencing the same problem over and over again and all I do is to power cycle every time and it works unitl now. I had around 4 times of success with this but my 5th time was a failure. I tried every power cycle method I research about in these forums to no avail. I've even tried using the latest version of parted magic and it seems that it doesn't hard reset it successfully.

I was on 070H when all these lockups/undetectable problems happened. Even though the SSD is not detected in the BIOS, I've managed to downgrade it to 0309 as your updater file somehow recognized it. So I'm on 0309 right now but am still stuck with the problem. I need the drive files that are saved in the desktop and am really frustrated right now.

Can anyone help me here?

Thanks.

6 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Crucial M4 128GB cannot be detected

There is a official suggestion for power cycle procedure here - http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD-Knowledge/Why-did-my-SSD-quot-disappear-quot-from...

And the alternative thread with a additional step that helped few users out there - http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/How-I-fixed-my-M4-that-wouldn-t-detect-in-the-BIO...

I believe there is not much more you could do as a drive user. You can try to leave the drive connected to power source only for a couple of hours or other step I would try would be to completely disconnect drive from power/data overnight.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid

I already did all the steps you just mentioned to no avail. It's just very frustrating to lose my data just like that! I can't believe Crucial is not being responsible for this.

How will I know if I'm still covered by the warranty of this drive?

JEDEC Jedi

The drives have a three year warranty.

I'm afraid data security is the responsibility of us users.  Any storage device can fail at any time and we need to keep backups.  It's a hard lesson to learn but I'm convinced nobody takes backups seriously until right after they first needed them!  Even those of us who should know better - I lost all my stuff some years back in an accidental break up of a RAID array and have backed up properly ever since.

We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

You haven't specified your Windows version but I'll just mention that if you happen to have Windows 8, it will have backed up some of your stuff anyway for you to Microsoft OneDrive

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

It's Windows 7. I do have backups of my user files and other important files. What I don't have is a backup of sone of the settings of my programs like couch potato and nzb drone.

Any more troubleshooting steps to try and revive this drive?
JEDEC Jedi

If you've already tried the official and unoffical power cycles I doubt there's much more that can be done Smiley Sad

As well as your documents folder and other personal data, if you backup the all users data folder ( c:\program data ) and your user profile ( c:\users\your_name ) you'll have most of your app settings backed up

Want to be a Super User?