Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Memory Leak Geek
Yusifer

Crucial M4 128GB freezing my computer

[ Edited ]

Not sure if crashing is the correct term to use in english, but anyway: In 2010 I purchased a Crucial M4 128GB, meant for booting W7. A few weeks ago, I noticed my computer is getting freezing after 1-2 hours. When trying all the possible options, I decided to check the HDDs and when I took the SSD out, the freezing stopped. Conclusion, the Crucial M4 was the cause.

Today I've been checking up on how I could solve it, and it seemed that there was a bug that the Crucial M4, when in use for 256 hours or so, would freeze up after around one hour. Sounded pretty much my problem, and I was happy to see there was already a new firmware version to fix this problem. So I installed the firmware updater, but it said that there are no SSDs that needs to be updated, and if I let Windows check, it says there are no newer or better versions to install.

How can I solve this now?

PS: I use Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit system, and the Crucial M4 128GB is an 2.5 inch one. Hope this helps.

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

Re: Crucial M4 128GB freezing my computer

in reply to Yusifer

Some things to try when the update doesn't work:

use the manual boot file version rather than the windows updater

Make sure the SSD is in your first sata port (the lowest numbered one) and disconnect all other drives except the cd drive containing the firmware disc

try both AHCI and IDE.  Some computers update better on one than the other.  Raid mode won't work for the updater.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid
Sabrina

in reply to Yusifer

Be sure to have the updater exe on system Disk (C:smileyhappy:, maybe on Desktop.

Click to start.

Ignore the updaters message "no SSDs ..." and do not click "quit" but "continue".

Click License -> Accept -> Continue.

PC reboots and starts the update program in dos mode.

All M4s in your system will be updated automatically.

When finished, reboot again to enter windows.

Works fine for me. Two M4s updated from Firmware version 009 to 070H.

Good luck!

Regards

Sabrina

Memory Leak Geek
Yusifer

in reply to Sabrina

Your advice helped to install the firmware, but sadly, the freezing is still occuring. Is there any other solution or will I have to RMA the SSD (which I bought in 2011 not 2010, so there should still be a year of warranty left)?

Kilobyte Kid
Sabrina

in reply to Yusifer

I do not know.

I had also freezes since several days (after round about 5.000 hours SSD usage). It starts sometimes in the past with longer "pausing" times (HDD LED on for seconds up to minutes, but no activity in the system). These events came more often and for longer time up to 5 minutes or so.

Then it came to unrecoverable freezes (HDD LED off; no system reaction possible including soft-reboot). Maybe, pausing and freezes are two differnt events.I do not know.

In the case of freezes the resource monitor reports at least 100% usage in I/O traffic on the SSD (channel) but no I/Os. Hardware LED off.

I checked the SSDs but all utilities show no errors in the data areas. They are quite good.

I guess, it was a problem in the channel or controller (or a problem in Win7 to SSD controller communication?). System was not changed, no new application were added, only OS updates were done), and i hope the firmware update will solve these issues now.

In the last hours the system is stable an the the problem did not occur.

If the problem occurs again i have to ask Crucial for warranty support.  I also bought the M4s in 2011 (with firmware 0009).

System: Asus Sabertooth X79, AHCI on, Hot Swap enabled, M4 for system, a second one for data, both plugged at Marvel G6 onboard controller, Win 7/x64. 8 more internal SSDs and HDDs in the system.

Regards

Sabrina

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

in reply to Sabrina

If you post up a screenshot form CrystalDiskInfo we can see if there's anything wrong in the SMART data.

Also if you've changed or updated the version of your sata driver (ie intel rapid storage tech) that can cause problems.  I know my system only likes very specific versions of that.  The whole 10.x series disagrees with my DVD drive and anything after 11.2 hates my system on Windows 7 but is fine on 8.  So it's an idea to try different IRST driver versions if you use it.

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

in reply to targetbsp

It looks fine.  What about the drivers i mentioned? Do you know if you're using intel rapid storage tech?

Memory Leak Geek
Yusifer

in reply to targetbsp

Not sure if I do, there's however a program Intel Rapid Storage Tech installed, and I see my HDD on it (no SSD). As for my hardware, nothing has been changed at all since I bought it.

Memory Leak Geek
Yusifer

in reply to Yusifer

Bump, the problem still isn't solved or is this the point I should RMA the SSD to Crucial?

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

in reply to Yusifer

It might be worth trying this: http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD-Knowledge/My-SSD-used-to-be-so-much-faster-What-h...

Give the drives garbage collection a good long period to do some tidying up.

Our Latest Posts