Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Kilobyte Kid
Soulece
Accepted Solution

Crucial M4 SSD won't boot.

So a tornado swept through today and knocked out the power. It flipped on and off multiple times in the span of a minute. Well the power finally died permanently. So I went outside, turned on the generator and go to boot my computer. I see that it says I have no bootable device installed. I opened my BIOS and it wasn't recognizing the drive. After much hassle, I finally get the MB to recognize the SSD, however, whenever ever I boot up the computer, it gets to the windows starting and the animation and then freezes up and the screen goes black. 

Is there some way to get my SSD to boot up completely or is my SSD fried by the rapid power outage? It definitely get hit with a power surge because I run my computer through two surge protectors and my PSU has a built in surge protector so if it manages to surge through the first to surge protectors (nearly impossible) then it will only fry my PSU. Plus, none of my other hardware components are damaged. 

Kilobyte Kid
Soulece

Re: Crucial M4 SSD won't boot.

[ Edited ]
in reply to Soulece

Update: I got the SSD to boot in safe mode. I haven't tried to reboot it again in normal. I update again when I see what happens.

Update 2: I tried to boot the SSD as normal, however, the windows 7 start menu froze again and the screen went black. 

Update 3: It seems my SLI was drawing too much power for the generator to handle so my PSU was pulling power for other parts of the computer to make them work. I removed my second GPU and my computer started as normal. I thought it might be my graphics cards when I booted into safe mode perfectly fine. So if anyone has the problem in the future, it maybe be your hardware is straining the PSU too much. I'll have to wait until the power comes back on in the house and I can turn off the generator so I can reinstall my second GPU.

Bit Baby
westom

in reply to Soulece

Soulece wrote:

Update 3: It seems my SLI was drawing too much power for the generator to handle so my PSU was pulling power for other parts of the computer to make them work.

Hardware does not work that way.  Either the generator provides sufficient power.  Or the computer's power controller turns off the computer.

To say more required numbers from a multimeter.  Your post implies something in the power 'system' was always defective (marginal) and has now become worse.  It also implies other possibilities.  But to say more requires hard facts.  Your supposition contradicts how hardware works.

Since the defect is so obvious, then a best time to make multimeter measurement is with that generator.

Kilobyte Kid
sunzi

in reply to westom

Hi,

I've got the same issue with my Lenovo Thinkpad X301 (Typ: 2774,BIOS: 3.16;26.Oct.2012)

The Bios would recognize my M4-CT256M4SSD3 (in the screen where the boot up sequence can be defined) but could not access it as if there was no drive present at all.

If I would boot from the "Solid State Drive firmware update utility (Bootable ISO)" provided by Lenovo it would not find the crucial SSD, but the original Samsung 64GB it would.

Any hint?

Thank you

sunzi from Munich/Germany

Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

in reply to sunzi

Hi sunzi,

First of all I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with your SSD.

I have had a look in to that system for you and we don't actually list any of our SSD's as compatible with that model.  That does not mean that it won't work, it just means that we have not tested the drive against that system.

When you have the mSATA installed, does it show in disk management?  If so can you click the secondary mouse button and hit initialize, this is to check and see if it possibly needs to be initialized before you can use the drive in that system.

Can you confirm if you are using the drive as a secondary drive or if it's going to have your operating system installed on it?  If you are installing the operating system in the drive can you confirm what happens when you run the operating system installation CD?  Does the installation CD pick up the SSD?

Please let us know how it goes, once you have tried the above steps we will have a better understanding of what's wrong with your installation.

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
JEDEC Jedi
bogdan

in reply to westom

westom wrote:
Hardware does not work that way.  Either the generator provides sufficient power.  Or the computer's power controller turns off the computer. 

My very small experience tells me that I could argue with that, but I am not going to :smileyhappy:

In the last 12 months I have had two underpowered system issues, one desktop and one laptop. Both systems were seemingly working fine (no BSODs, no crashes) but they were showing ectremaly unusal behaviours. But I guess I would consider it very uncommon though. Laptop's case is breifly described here.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid
sunzi

in reply to Crucial_Junket

Hi,

in fact I didn't get that far. After putting the M4 in an adapter (Lycom ST-170) to make it fit to the HDD slot in the X301 I started a Win 7 installation assuming all is fine.

At some point the installation process aborted because no HDD was found. hat where my research started:

Restarted the X301 and checked the Bios.

Where the boot sequence can be changed the optical drive was listed as well as the M4 SSD => the SSD sends back the ID, at least.

However, in the diagnostic section of the Bios no HDD was found. And I played a little with the modes but with no success.

Lenovo offers a tool to update SSD's => no drive was found also.

I went to our FAE, who has worked at Sandisk for quite a while for help.

He to tried to communicate to the SSD by sending commands on DOS level to the card without success....

It seems strange that the is an ID response but nothing else.

An our ago I had another FAE on the phone with whom I worked in the past and who no sits in the system level lab at Micron in Ismaning but he too had no solving idea.

After maybe 20 engineering hours spent by colleagues and me  I am very close to send the product back for a warranty replacement.

This is so frustrating.

Cheers,

Sunzi from Munich

Our Latest Posts