Crucial M4 boot problem "A disk read error occurred"

Silicon Sultan

Re: Crucial M4 boot problem "A disk read error occurred"

hmkay wrote:
It seems that switching ports for the other drives did it for me. SSD ist still on SATA0 but I put the HDD on 1 and the DVD on the last port.

interesting...so it's 'fixed'?

Bit Baby

I have similar problem. Have an 521GB m4 SSD. I could copy on it the entire content (image) of the original hard disk, but when I rebooted, I got the "A disk read error occurred - Press Ctrl-Alt+Del to restart" message. And since then. nothing else but that message.

Kilobyte Kid

After two days of cold and warm boots it appears to be fixed. So I suggest everyone with a similar problem to try shuffling the SATA ports. Deactivating AHCI should also help but that's a pretty hefty performance hit.

Bit Baby

In my case its on a laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad T400), so it seems difficult to shuffle the SATA ports.

Silicon Sultan

sounds like you don't have the boot loader. you could try hiren's boot cd, and use one of the options like:

BootFix Utility Run this utility if you get 'Invalid system disk' message.
BootSect 6.0.6 Boot Sector Manipulation Tool, This tool replaces FixFAT.exe and FixNTFS.exe.
MBRWizard 3.0.73 Directly update and modify the Master Boot Record.
MbrFix 1.3 to backup, restore, fix the boot code in the MBR.
MBRTool 2.3.200 backup, verify, restore, edit, refresh, remove, display, re-write and more
PLoP Boot Manager 5.0.13 a small program to boot different operating systems harddisk, floppy, CD/DVD or from USB, it can boot from an USB/CD/DVD even without BIOS support.
Smart Boot Manager 3.7.1 a multi boot manager.
Bit Baby

Thanks. I got Hiren's Boot CD and chose the first option (Boot Windows from disk): windows started seamless and I could use the laptop without any problem, confirming that the SSD is working fine. Unfortunately, without Hiren's Boot CD in the CD drive, the laptop won't reboot. It always gives the same message very quickly: "A disk read error occurred - Press Ctrl-Alt+Del to restart". I tried to use some of Hiren's boot CD options you indicated, including rewriting the MBR, but nothing does it.

Bit Baby

I finally managed to make it work, by making a new xxclone copy of the original disk and copying over the MBR. Thanks for all your help

Kilobyte Kid

I thought I would post in this thread as I have started experiencing this very issue.

The boot problem occurs frequently now when it never used to occur before. My SSD is just over 2 years old. How do I get its product details from my computer?

I have prepared myself a copy of Hiren's BootCD for an emergency.

What else can I do in the meantime?

I have no issues with the use of the SSD after my W7 OS has powered up.

The BIOS now does not include the SSD in its boot menu. I find myself having to manually boot from my ASRock BIOS from the Boot Options menu.

David

Smiley Indifferent