Crucial MX200 isn't recognised in UEFI

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

Crucial MX200 isn't recognised in UEFI

Hello; I have a puzzle which I haven't solved yet: Windows 10 does not recognise my (second drive) Crucial MX200 HDD when I boot in UEFI mode, although it works OK in Legacy mode. 

I have a new DELL Inspiron 15 7560 which shipped with a mSATA (Sandisk) 256GB HDD and a caddy for an internal 2.5" drive, which I have used to fit a Crucial MX200 1TB SSD drive which I already own.  [After 3 weeks trying to find the correct part, I finally bought an interpose cable (the 2.5" drive connects using a small HDD connector on the motherboard, not direct by SATA.]

I fitted my 12 month old MX200, intending to use it as a second HDD/ data area for photos, retaining the mSATA for boot/OS and software.  The MX200 has a Win10 OS/boot partition at present which I am intending to overwrite, but I was hoping to keep the data partition unchanged. 
SO: when I boot the machine with its standard UEFI settings, it simply doesn't see the MX200.  Both drives are visible in BIOS diagnostics, but the MX200 isn't visible anywhere once Windows starts.  I have the latest WIN10 updates, the latest firmware for the MX200 (MU04) and the latest BIOS and device drivers.
Curiously, when I change the BIOS to boot in legacy (not UEFI mode), then it 1) fails to boot from the mSATA drive, 2) it then boots successfully from the MX200 and 3) it shows all of the drives: the MX200 (as c:\ and a separate data partition g:\) and the mSATA drive (as d:\). 
This is promising, but it isn't quite what I want: I am hoping to use the OEM mSATA as the boot drive, leaving the whole 1TB MX200 as the second drive for data.  Also, the version of Windows which is presently on the MX200 has the wrong licence key (from another laptop which I've sold) and is unauthorised. 
Is there a way of getting the MX200 to be recognised as a second disk when I boot in UEFI mode?  I don't need it to be a boot drive, just to be configurable and usable.  The MX200 as is was probably built under Legacy BIOS as the donor PC was rather old; do I somehow need to set it up for the new PC?  Thanks in anticipation!

7 Replies
Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Crucial MX200 isn't recognised in UEFI

As far as I can remember, typically legacy boot mode requires MBR type partitioning and UEFI boot mode can take advantage of GPT partitioning.  MBR however is still the most compatible and there should be no problem using a drive partitioned this way in UEFI based system. 

Windows can only boot from GPT on UEFI based systems but there should be no problem with using MBR partitioned drive (that I think your MX200 may be) as a data drive.

Could you boot your system in UEFI mode and go to 'Disk management' to see if there is your MX200 listed somehow?

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid

Thanks. It isn't visible at all in UEFI mode- not to the disk manager, diskpart, device manager or the Crucial Storage executive although it works fine in Legacy mode. If I take it out and connect via a USB caddy it makes a friendly noise, the drive letter shows up briefly in Explorer and the Windows spinning wheel runs for a couple of minutes. Then the drive letter disappears again. Exactly the same happens if I connect it externally to a new-ish Lenovo. I'm beginning to suspect there is a problem with the drive in UEFI mode. Can I reset it to factory setting somehow?
JEDEC Jedi

Storage Executive's PSID REvert feature will factory reset the drive.

Sounds like a BIOS bug to me though if it works in one mode but not the other. Smiley Sad

Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid

Thanks.  I tried Storage Executive, but when I boot the laptop in UEFI mode but then it doesn't see the MX200 drive at all.  If I boot in Legacy mode, it refuses to boot from the mSATA and only boots from the MX200 itseld (first partition). Can I rebuild a drive which is the boot drive for Windows?  Or can I get into Storage Executive before Windows starts?

Kilobyte Kid

I don't think it is a BIOS bug.  I installed the latest BIOS for the machine.  I also tried connecting the MX200 as an external drive to another laptop (a Lenovo) and I got exactly the same result: the USB connection made the usual friendly noise; the drive letter showed up briefly in Explorer; the Windows 'wait' wheel turned for a couple of minutes and then the drive letter disappeared again.  I've come to the conclusion that something about how I set up the MX200 drive (in Legacy mode, on an old 2009 DELL Inspiron, pre-UEFI) has made it incompatible with the UEFI boot. What I haven't figured out is how to reset the drive, given that it is only visible from Legacy mode and that if I boot in Legacy mode it becomes the boot drive (because my new laptop won't boot from the mSATA drive in Legacy mode).  How can I reset the boot drive?  

I may need to find another laptop which uses Legacy mode, connect the MX200 as an external drive and use Storage Executive to rebuild it.  Fingers crossed...

Kilobyte Kid

4ellboy wrote:

I don't think it is a BIOS bug.  I installed the latest BIOS for the machine.  I also tried connecting the MX200 as an external drive to another laptop (a Lenovo) and I got exactly the same result: the USB connection made the usual friendly noise; the drive letter showed up briefly in Explorer; the Windows 'wait' wheel turned for a couple of minutes and then the drive letter disappeared again.  I've come to the conclusion that something about how I set up the MX200 drive (in Legacy mode, on an old 2009 DELL Inspiron, pre-UEFI) has made it incompatible with the UEFI boot. What I haven't figured out is how to reset the drive, given that it is only visible from Legacy mode and that if I boot in Legacy mode it becomes the boot drive (because my new laptop won't boot from the mSATA drive in Legacy mode).  How can I reset the boot drive?  

I may need to find another laptop which uses Legacy mode, connect the MX200 as an external drive and use Storage Executive to rebuild it.  Fingers crossed...

Kilobyte Kid

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your support.

I fixed the problem by borrowing back the old DELL in which I previously used the MX200.  It recognised the MX200 as an external drive, and I was able to completely reformat it into NTFS mode. The drive is now fully recognised in my new (UEFI boot) laptop as a second drive.