[Crucial MX300 1050GB] HD password feature unavailable on UEFI BIOS?

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

[Crucial MX300 1050GB] HD password feature unavailable on UEFI BIOS?

Hi everyone,

Is the HD password feature unavailable for the Crucial MX300 1050GB SSD (M.2 2280 format)  in an UEFI BIOS? I have a Lenovo IdeaPad 710s and in BIOS, the "Hard-disk password protect" feature shows up as "Unavailable".

Thank you.

10 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: [Crucial MX300 1050GB] HD password feature unavailable on UEFI BIOS?

Have you installed Windows yet?  Windows 8 and later will disable ATA Security (of which the BIOS password is) in favour of the newer eDrive/OPAL standard which you can enable via Windows bitlocker (amongst other security programs).  The only way to restore ATA Security features is to wipe the drive via a method known as PSID Revert.  Crucial Storage Executive can do this PSI Revert for you but only if the drive is hooked up as a secondary drive to another WIndows install - ie. you can't do it to the drive you booted from.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Yes, I've actually done a lot more with this SSD - as detailed here: http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/Crucial-MX300-1050GB-problem-on-UEFI-BIOS/td-p/177860

So basically I've used this as a replacement for the smaller 256 GB SSD that I had in the laptop before, I installed Windows 10 on this drive and that's when problems started appearing Smiley Sad as I kept receiving the "Unlock Crucial" message described in the other thread on each and every reboot.

Right now the laptop runs Windows 10 without any problems.

Interestingly, I did do a PSID revert just a couple of days ago on this drive - but after reinstalling Windows just after that, apparently the UEFI BIOS option was preserved.

Can I just give up the OPAL thing somehow? I don't want the "Unlock Crucial" message showing up on every reboot, with me having to press ESC and then ENTER?

JEDEC Jedi

You'd have to PSID Revert to factory reset the drive. if you then set an ATA (BIOS) password before installing Windows, it then wouldn't enable eDrive.

We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Thank you for the advice!

It's important to note that I had NEVER set any password for this drive. Not before, not after install. So I have no idea why the "Unlock Crucial" message pops up, as the drive was taken straight out of the box and into the laptop as it arrived.

So basically you are suggesting that I perform the following:

a) PSID revert the drive

b) start laptop with drive empty, go to BIOS and attempt to **set a password** for the drive? I don't want a password to be set at all if possible.

Is there any way to setup a password for this MX300, to allow hardware encryption, in Windows 10 Home edition that I have now?

Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

pcp2016 wrote:

So basically you are suggesting that I perform the following:

a) PSID revert the drive

b) start laptop with drive empty, go to BIOS and attempt to **set a password** for the drive? I don't want a password to be set at all if possible.

Is there any way to setup a password for this MX300, to allow hardware encryption, in Windows 10 Home edition that I have now?

So do you want to set the password or not? Smiley Wink

In general the hardawre encryption is always enabled on that drive. Then you can choose a way to use that protection either with MS eDrive bitlocker or with ATA password (that you can set in BIOS/UEFI). 

What targetbsp is suggesting is a good way to have things set. You PSID revert the drive then you set ATA HDD password in BIOS before any attempt to install Windows again. After OS install you can leave the password enabled or you can disable in BIOS and have no password protection at all.

Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid

@bogdan: it would be ideal to have hardware encryption, yes, as it's best to protect the data (and I do NOT mind entering the password, as long as it is MYSELF the one who sets it :-). However, since I have never set any passwords for encryption before and basically just took the drive out of the box and placed it into the laptop, it doesn't make sense to ask to "Unlock Crucial" every time I boot the computer.

If I set the password in BIOS, will that ensure that the data is encrypted automatically in the hardware controller please? Or, do I always have to go through Windows's BitLocker to make sure hardware encryption is there?

JEDEC Jedi

The hardware encryption is on all the time, it is just how the controller in this SSD works. You can choose the way of "closing the door" to your "storage room" by setting your own ATA password in BIOS or enabling eDrive Bitlocker (also with your own password, I believe) in Windows Pro or Enterprise.

pcp2016 wrote:

I installed Windows 10 on this drive and that's when problems started appearing Smiley Sad as I kept receiving the "Unlock Crucial" message described in the other thread on each and every reboot.

[...] 

Interestingly, I did do a PSID revert just a couple of days ago on this drive - but after reinstalling Windows just after that, apparently the UEFI BIOS option was preserved.

As mentioned before, you have placed the drive in the laptop, installed Windows and that disabled ATA Security in favour of the OPAL standard. My guess is that your UEFI BIOS recognizes the OPAL state the drive is in and incorrectly asks to unlock the drive (incorrectly, because the OPAL password has not been set).

I would probably do what I have suggested before - PSID revert the drive then set ATA HDD password in BIOS before any attempt to install Windows again. This way you give up the OPAL thing but still make use of hardware encryption (and password protection). That is the way I have set up two or three of my Crucial drives - with ATA password enabled in BIOS.

Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid

@bogdan: Thank you, it seems that was it! I've done what you had suggested: PSID revert the drive, set the ATA password first, installed Windows 10 and now everything works great. It reboots without asking for password and, as I had intended, it asks for the hard disk password on computer startup.

This also resolves the issue in the previous thread, so I will ask to close that one as well - and link it to this answer.

One last thing that is bugging me now, after all of this (and I think this may be related to the Lenovo UEFI BIOS in fact) is that immediately after turning off the laptop, when I turn it back on, it shows the boot menu with these 2 options: 1) Windows Boot Manager 2) the Crucial SSD. No matter which option I select, it never does anything - instead re-displays the boot menu again. It's like it's stuck in limbo :-) the only viable option is to turn off the laptop again and then turn it back on, after which it always asks for the hard disk password (as it should!).

Kilobyte Kid

BitLocker and ATA passwords are not the only 2 ways to "close the door."

Moreover, there are better, and free, SED PBA (pre-boot authentication) password tools than BIOS ATA passwords.  Unfortunately, Crucial SSDs are picky as **bleep** when it comes to allowing them to work properly.  It almost seems they only want you to use your ATA password (if you have a BIOS that offers that feature, as many do not anymore), or set up that God-awful eDrive.