Crucial MX300 1TB SATA 2.5 vs M.2 2280

Bit Baby

Crucial MX300 1TB SATA 2.5 vs M.2 2280

I putting together my new desktop build.  It's a MSI Z270 M3  MB and it tells me it supports m.2 2280 in the specs.   The entire m.2 is confusing me, seems more for laptops, but others say it is 4x faster.  I'm lost.  Let me ask a simple question to see if I can clear this up.

For my boot HD I want to use a Cruicial MX300 1TB.  Is there performance differences or other advantages between the 2.5" SSD vs the M.2 2280?

1 Reply
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Crucial MX300 1TB SATA 2.5 vs M.2 2280

The MX300 is the same drive in either case with a different connector.  There'll be no performance difference.

These newer slot types do have the potential to run faster and when there's a big enough market for it, no doubt drives that take advantage of that will become more mainstream.  But until then, most drives will be the same model just with a different physical connection.

If you do go for M.2, you need to be careful because there are two types of M.2 and in a lot of cases the board will only support one of the types:  Sata and PCI Express.  The MX300 M.2 drives are sata.

Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!