Crucial MX300 Freeze problems

Kilobyte Kid

Crucial MX300 Freeze problems

Hello 

I'm intending to upgrade my laptop from a 5400rpm 1TB HDD to an SSD.
I have 2 opions: sandisk ssd plus or Crucial MX300 (That's what they sell in my country)
I found out that the MX300 is way better but I also read about the freezing issue!
Can anyone confirm it or deny it for me? and is it solved yet?
Thanks in advance

4 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Crucial MX300 Freeze problems

There's no design fault 'freezing issue' as such.  But there scenarios which could cause issue - as with any drive.

The main cause of the issue with this drive  is the included cloning software causes it on some systems.  The solution is simply to uninstall the cloning software after cloning.  Or use other software - there's plenty of free cloning software out there.  So the reason this might appear common is because the included software can be a culprit - which is rather unfortunate!

Other causes could be (and these would apply to any drive)

1) An actual faulty drive if you are unlucky.  An RMA would sort that.

2) A storage driver compatibility issue.  Swap between microsofts and intels and try different versions of intels.  The version can matter. On my older system, one version broke my CD drive, another my hard disks, another my ssd's.  There was only really one version of the driver that worked.  My current system seems to work with anything.

3) Power saving settings.  The bets solution to this is to enable hot swap for the sata port in the BIOS.  If that's not an option, disabling link power management in the sata driver and setting windows performance plan to high.

In most cases the drive will simply work out of the box.  These are rather pre-emptive suggestions to re-assure you there are solutions to unlikley problems..  Bare in mind this is a support forum.  You ONLY see the people with trouble. Not the vast majority who simply plugged it in and never looked back.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

So you're saying that the probability of having the issue is like 1% or so?

Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

I don't work for Crucial so I have no idea of the stats but for them to still be in the business of selling SSD's I assume they must sell way more than a 100 times the number of times I've seen issues posted about it on here.  So presumably far less than 1%.

I've never seen it myself in mine, friends or drives fitted at work.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Logical enough!