Crucial MX300 SDD - Windows 10 Freezing (HELP ME)

Bit Baby

Crucial MX300 SDD - Windows 10 Freezing (HELP ME)

Hi! So I bought the MX300 SSD a couple of days ago now and have been running into the same problem time and time again no matter what I do. I had an existing HDD running my OS (Windows 10 Pro) and wanted to clone it onto my new (should be better) SSD (MX300).

Now, the issue was not cloning it, I used the recommended cloning software (Acronis - True Image HD) it isn't until windows has booted using the newly cloned SSD. After being logged in for a few minutes the task bar can become unresponsive, applications will not open Wi-Fi stops working etc. The computer literally freezes apart from being able to use the mouse.  Even pressing ctl + alt + del won’t help. By this point I have to restart the computer (Which, kudos to Crucial doesn't take long at all, but that’s not the point).

I have tried;

Resetting the PC - This does not work (Windows says it isn't possible)

Checking all drivers are up to date - They are

Checking latest firmware is installed using storage executive - Is it

Formatting the SSD and Re-Cloning - Same issue occurs

Fresh Install of Windows 10 Pro with clean SSD - Does not work (Windows wont allow it)

Running CMD – SFC /Scannow – Finds corruption, but unable to resolve it

Following various guides on YouTube to do with power on the PCIE port - Doesn't work

Downloading AHCI Link Power Management and changing it to HIPM + DIPM – Doesn’t work

Going into regedit and changing pciide start value to (3) instead of (0) – Doesn’t work

I’ve literally have no idea how to resolve this issue, sometimes windows runs fine for hours and sometimes it freezes straight away. I don’t know how to fix this issue and its been bugging me for days now.

My Specs;

Intel i7 4790K 4GH (64 bit operating system)

16GB RAM

GEFORCE GTX 970 4GB MSI

MX300 SSD 750GB

73 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Crucial MX300 SDD - Windows 10 Freezing (HELP ME)

[ Edited ]

Uninstall Acronis after you're done cloning.  It freezes up on some systems.

As an aside, if you google your sfc scannow message about it unble to fix, you'll find guides to fix scannow from the command line using the Windows 10 media.  I had to do it on my system but I can't recall how, or the error to do the google search and find how!  Acually, IIRC, even the fix for scannow (which is itself a fix for Windows) was broken and needed its own fix first (again, google).  So I had to fix, the fix for the fix to Windows not installing itself properly.  Fun times - thanks Microsoft!

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

Thanks, I will try unistalling Acronis after cloning and see if tyhat makes a difference. 

PR1
Bit Baby

can you post iit works please, i have the same issue, thanks

PR1
Bit Baby

please post if it works i hae exactly the sam issue, thanks

JEDEC Jedi

You may as well just try it yourself PR1.  Smiley Happy It's a common issue so there's a good chance it will help.

It won't take long to uninstall it from add/remove programs and presumably if you're in Windows you've already cloned and don't need it anymore.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Highlighted
PR1
Bit Baby

ok thanks

Bit Baby

I had the same problem on my Asus N551JW (after I cloned the entire disk with Acronis True Image and replaced the internal HDD with MX300 750GB).

After this fix my system is running smoothly since three weeks:

1. Set Windows 10 to boot in "safe mode" at next startup (search google for understanding how)
  2. Restart the system and enter BIOS/EFI screen.
  3. Modify SATA setting from AHCI to IDE mode.
  4. Save BIOS/EFI settings and let the system boot in safe mode.
  5. Reboot the system (normal startup).
  6. Enjoy no more freezes.

If you skip the "Safe mode" part, Windows will not boot at all (blue screen with a "boot device not found" message).

The same will happen if you switch back from IDE to AHCI without going through the "safe mode" first.

Hope this helps.

Kilobyte Kid

Please help. I have the same exact problem. The computer can not connect to wifi and it freezes often. It boots quick but the computer is not usuable now with internet and freezing. It keeps asking to do disk clean up as well. I try to fix the errors as it suggests but to no avail and no internet. Thank you.

JRD
Bit Baby

HI,

I had exctly the same issue upgrading a Samsung 830  to the MX300.

Updating my Z68 Motherboards bios to the latest (2013) version appears to have resolved the issue.

JD.