Crucial MX300 SDD - Windows 10 Freezing (HELP ME)

JRD
Bit Baby

Re: Crucial MX300 SDD - Windows 10 Freezing (HELP ME)

I had a similar issue after replacing a Samsung 830 with the MX300.

I upgraded my Z68 motherboard bios to the latest version (2013) and this has resolved my issues.

Kilobyte Kid

I had the very same issue. I have a Lenovo G510. I cloned the drive using easyus todo backup. Everything seemed to go fine but as soon as I booted the laptop with the crucial ssd I started getting random freeziing. Sometimes it would be 5 minutes other times it might be 30 minutes. Once it would freeze I could move the mouse but clicking on icons had no affect. I did notice that if I was in Chrome it would typically have a small box at the bottom with "waiting for cache".

I did reflash my bios but that did not seem to help me. I then went on a hunt to update as many drivers as I could find. My SATA AHCI driver was generic Microsoft. In my case Intel supplied the controller so I updated the driver (I simply clicked on update driver and let Windows go look). All I know is since the update my laptop has been abolutely perfect with no issues.

I am very happy with the improvement in performance.

Regards, 

Bit Baby

Hi, i've the same problem.

I tried to activate momentum cache from Crucial Storage Executive and seems the problem solved

Kilobyte Kid

Hello,

I reported on 8/14 that after updating drivers my setup was working great. And it was. It went for about 10 days with no issues at all. Very fast and highly satisfied. And then yesterday it would frequently just stall (for want of a better word) for 10 -15 seconds and then start working again. Task manager resource monitor shows 0 KB/sec disk I/O but the drive is 100% active. when it does this everything just pauses for 5-15 seconds and then carries on.  It happens frequently. I've done everything I can think of including going back to an earlier restore point with no change. I tried the momentum cache and for me at least it didn't seem to help a lot. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Regards,

JEDEC Jedi

Have you uninstalled Acronis (if you have it)?

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Hello,

Yes, I did uninstall Acronis. I used it when I first tried to clone the old HDD but all it wanted to do was reboot my computer. After a couple times of that loop I got nervous and tried easyus todo backup and everything worked fine. For me, I followed the directions in the laptop magazine article.

Regards,

JEDEC Jedi

It's odd that your storage driver got updated after clicking windows update driver option. It never worked for me and I thought it cannot be updated this way. Anyway could you check what is the driver version that is in use? You can check it with Device manager -> IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers (or Storage Controllers) -> right click on the selected controller -> Properties -> Driver tab
Also, did you try to use the driver from lenovo support site?

Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Bit Baby

add me to the list.

dell MX6800

old Hdd was working fine, just slow.

replaced with a MX300 1TB SSD.

FRESH install of Wn10 Pro. AHCI mode  DID NOT CLONE.

seemed to work OK at first, but as I added the files and applications back on, 

it began freezing intermitently. It has steadily gotten worst to the point that it will barely boot

into windows at all before freezing. As a side note, cursor from trackpad always continues to work.

Installed the latest BIOS and drivers during Win10 install.

Have seen other forum discuss removal of NVidia drivers as solution. didn't help me. I did note that 

Win10 update had updated the driver as an update. I did remove that. no joy.

Machine is unusable at this point, cannot even get into it long enough to troubleshoot.

I am going to re-install Win10  or Win7 in ATA/IDE MODE.

Any other suggestions, that I should try?

Kilobyte Kid

Hello Bogdan,

Device manager driver: Intel(R) 8 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller

Driver Provider: Intel Corp

Driver Date: 8/1/2013

Driver Version:12.8.0.1016

Honestly I did not look on Lenovo's site for this driver. I clicked on the "Search automatically for updated driver software" box and windows found the Intel driver. After that my laptop worked perfectly for over a week. Good suggestion though. I'll go look on their site. Thanks.

Regards,

JEDEC Jedi

It would be more like a workaround on the notebook but you could try to set windows power plan to 'High performance' and see how it would go. Also check the event viewer if there are any errors recorded at the time of the freezes.

Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!