Crucial MX300 SDD - Windows 10 Freezing (HELP ME)

Kilobyte Kid

Re: Crucial MX300 SDD - Windows 10 Freezing (HELP ME)

Just FYI, confirming what others have suggested:  I used Acronis software to clone my hard drive, then installed Crucial MX300 SSD.  Was able to boot up, all appeared normal for a few minutes then the freezing began. Tried different browsers, did diagnostics, etc; restarts, same problem.  THEN (why didn't I do this first?) I called Crucial.  Tech advised similar problems by other SSD installers with Acronis.  Said to uninstall Acronis software and re-boot which I did.  So far, no problems.

Kilobyte Kid

Hello Bogdan,

As mentioned before I had 10 days or so of perfect performance and then would get intermittent "pausing" for 10-15 seconds. For the last couple of days it was really bad, like many times in 5 minutes.

Today when I started it, it behaved normally for most of the day. I have no idea why Smiley Happy. I noticed about 5:00 that norton internet security was not visible. I couldn't get it to come up even after a restart (but task manager knew it was running) I clicked over to symantic and ran a diagnostic and norton decided the install was corrupted and proceeded to uninstall and reinstall automatically. Could this have been a contributing factor? I don't know. After norton was fixed I would get a random pause about once per hour.

Taking your advice I went to lenovo's site and they had a new driver for the SATA. 6/3/15 14.5.0.1081 which is a couple of years newer than the one I found before. So I installed it and for the last 30 minutes it's been perfect Smiley Happy

I have had my power plan set to high performance so I doubt that's it unfortunately.

I have been monitoring event viewer but given the driver change I'll wait to see if it "pauses" again before I report on that.

Crossing my fingers.

Thanks for the help

DMO
Kilobyte Kid

I too have a freezing problem with my new MX300 275GB.

I installed it into my circa 2007 Toshiba Satellite Pro P200 - a twin 160GB drives machine with 1.83Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T5550 Max RAM 4GB, in the hope that if I replaced the drive which contained its Win 10 Professional OS it might speed things up somewhat.

I originally cloned my drive not using Acronis but via a USB with Ubuntu Live on it using the dd command, which clones down to the electonic level. I then inserted the drive, booted up successfully and soon encountered the freezing problem others have suffered on this forum. I phoned the helpline and it was suggested I should completely wipe the drive, using one of two suggested methods, and use Acronis to clone it instead. This is what I successfully did. I had allowed the drive to 'rest' for 8 hours plugged in via USB to go through its automatic self-cleaning process before using Acronis. After successfully cloning I put the drive back into my machine and successfully booted up.

Again, it froze after about 5 minutes. It continued to freeze every session thereafter with different time intervals, but always within 30 minutes, usually less.

I then had the idea of using Momentum Cache, which I applied successfully and this does actually stop the freezing.

But unfortunately this leaves me with only 2.25GB of available RAM of the original 4GB, which results in a slower computer than it was before I had inserted the Crucial MX300 275. And if I remove Momentum Cache, it starts freezing again.

I have, on recommendations in this forum, completely removed Acronis (and all its registry entries) from the SSD drive - but this does not help. Unfortunately my BIOS does not allow me to change any SATA settings (eg from AHCI to IDE).

Conclusion - the SSD drive I have bought is not appropriate for the machine I have.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for something I might try?

Best

David

JEDEC Jedi

Do you have Intel Matrix Storage Manager installed?

Also check the Device manager -> IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers (or Storage Controllers) -> check for an entry that contains the acronym 'AHCI'. If an entry exists we would know the AHCI mode is enabled. In such case you could try to uninstall Intel Matrix software - it contains the drivers that are too old to support your SSD properly.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

DMO
Kilobyte Kid

[ Edited ]

Many thanks bogdan

I'm not sure I know where to look... Other than in Device Manager

Device manager has these entries:

1.Standard SATA AHCI Controller

2.Intel ICH8M Ultra ATA Storage Controllers 2850

3.Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller.

Windows can find no updates for any of these

I can find no trace of 'Intel Matrix Storage Manager'. Where would this be located on my Win 10 Pro 64 system? I can then use Agent Ransack to look for it...

Best

David

bogdan wrote:

Do you have Intel Matrix Storage Manager installed?

Also check the Device manager -> IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers (or Storage Controllers) -> check for an entry that contains the acronym 'AHCI'. If an entry exists we would know the AHCI mode is enabled. In such case you could try to uninstall Intel Matrix software - it contains the drivers that are too old to support your SSD properly.

DMO
Kilobyte Kid

Apologies for posting again before any possible reply to my immediate last post - but I with only 4GB of RAM installed (maximum possible) I have enabled virtual memory of min 300 max 4000 MB - but only on my second drive - ie not on the SSD.

I'm wondering if it would be better to enable virual memory on my SSD rather than on my second HD, since it is a faster drive (allegedly) - or whether this would only make matters worse in a situation where the SSD already freezes except when Momentum Cache is enabled. The risk is that the freezing would come back and occur so fast that I would not have time to reverse what I would have just done - except by reinstalling my old HD!

David

JEDEC Jedi

Intel Matrix Storage should have an entry in 'System -> Apps&features' that would let you to uninstall it.

Check the driver versions in Device manager -> IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers (or Storage Controllers) -> right click on the selected controller -> Properties -> Driver tab. Then we will know what drivers are installed. 

Since you have W10 it is possible you didn't install that old Intel Matrix driver anyway. In such case I would probably try:

- setting windows power plan to 'High performance'

- installing Intel AHCI driver (driver only, without software), one of those should work I believe: 11.2.0.1006 or 10.1.0.1008

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

DMO
Kilobyte Kid

Thanks again bogdan

All the relevant drivers are dated 21 June 2006 (21-06-2006) and Microsoft can find no updates.

I had already set power plan to 'High Performance'

Installing 'Intel AHCI driver (driver only, without software)' is above my 73 year old paygrade, as they say!

Are you suggesting I go to the Intel site, search for Intel AHCI driver - no bells and whistles - just the basic driver and try to install it? Without uninstalling the existing drivers? I am slightly worried that there is a risk this will bork my system completely. We are talking about a 2007 machine with a BIOS which can no longer be updated via Toshiba... (though I did update it some years back)

Might it be less risky to go via the virtual memory route of my last post (ie enabling it on the SSD rather than on my second HD, as at present).

In the meantime I'm going to look in the Intel site and see what I can see, but without actually doing anything!

Thank you for your patience

Best

David

DMO
Kilobyte Kid

OK...
I see two RAID drivers under AHCI search Win 10.

Not knowing what to do I decided to use the offered Intel Driver Update Utility that is supposed to tell you what you need.

It offers only Intel Chipset Device Software (INF Update Utility-EXE) with the warning that it is generic and takes no account of manufacturer's wotsits. .

I have gone so far as to download it but have not installed it yet - for pretty obvious reasons. Like it doesn't say anything about AHCI, SATA, IDE or anything else to do with storage!

Any further thoughts?

Don't be reluctant to give up on me - I shan't be offended. In the meantime I'm going to do a bit more research...

Best

David

DMO
Kilobyte Kid

Thanks very much for your attempts to help me bogdan

I have now given up. I did try to install the offered intel inf files and that failed.

So I have simply set up virtual memory 300-8000MB on the SSD and am hoping for the best in tems of improved performance with my 4GB RAM system and hoping that the virtual memory setup does not shorten the life of the drive too much, nor cause it to start freezing again even with Momentum Cache applied. If it does the latter I will delete the virual memory setup on the SSD.

So far so good and it is too soon to say if there is any improvement in performance.

Now I will try to get on with my life.

Now... about my other Linux machine... No, perhaps not... Smiley Wink

Best

David