Crucial MX300 SDD - Windows 10 Freezing (HELP ME)

Kilobyte Kid

Re: Crucial MX300 SDD - Windows 10 Freezing (HELP ME)

Call Crucial customer support.  They are USA based, very helpful/knowledgeable.  Have you uninstalled Acronis?

Bit Baby

Thanks to all who spend their precious time helping others on these blogs.  I tried all ideas suggested in this blog.  In my case, unistalling Acronis was the solution to the freezing.  Just stopping the processes was not sufficient.  Now my i7 is blazingly fast with the 525GB MX300 SSD. - THANK YOU!

Bit Baby

Here is my (small)  contribution :

Thanks to all who spend their precious time helping others on these blogs. 

In my case, unistalling Acronis was the solution to the freezing.

Thanks a lot!!!

Bit Baby

(May be duplicate)

On my X220 it needed a bios update (google bios update x220 - pick lenovo site and "start system scan")

I have the same problem on my T420, not tried yet but suspect that will fix it as they are the similar machines.

Binary Boss

[ Edited ]

I wanted to give some information to anyone of my experiences and hopefully, this helps someone in return.

1) Make sure your MX300 drive has the latest firmware (released Nov., 2016). This will help with drive error handling and other drive performance and stability improvements.

2) Our computer was a Dell Precision T5500 that consists of the Intel 5520 Chipset (Similar to consumer chipset, the Intel X58. The latest driver I used installes the ICH10R ACHI storage driver).

The version I used for this was Intel RST 11.7.4.1001 which I have downloaded from station-drivers.com. Do as suggested above and go to device Manager, search for IDE/ATAPI and locate entry to update this. Choose the iaAAHCIC driver in the f6flpy-x64 folder (likely the same driver you can use to load while using F6 during a Windows load) The same driver can be used to update. Past this version, I don't see a driver version newer. There are newer versions but it may not be the best fit. Once I try to install one, but it warned me in a popup that the driver may not be compatible with said device.

3) Since Updating, the entry now reads, Intel AHCI SATA ICH10R. I also set the desktop to high performance, make sure link power management under PCI-Express in the power options is set to off and turn off Windows 10 Fastboot feature. With an SSD already fast, this selection isn't necessarily needed.

The system run on SATA 3Gbps SATA and so far, 3 hours in, no freezes and hopefully it stays that way.(knocks on wood).

Hopefully this helps.

I also downloaded chipset drivers (INF_Win8.1_9.4.4.1006). You can try to install it. I'm not sure if made a difference as I think the chipset drivers on the computer were already new by Windows 10 anyway.

Binary Boss

I thought my answer would be more appropriate here:

What worked for me for Dell Precision T5500:

1. update MX300 to latest firmware

2. Install Intel RST driver version 11.7.4.1001 under IDE/ATAPI controller. Chose have disk and choose file iaAAHCIC.inf.

3. Install chipset driver INF_Win8.1_9.4.4.1006 (May help, but i think most entires statyed on default WIndows 10 recommended driver version.

4. Set Power options to high performance.

5. Turn off (was already off) Link power management under PCI-Express located in Power Options.

6. Turn off Windows 10 Fastboot feature.

So far no freezes and the AS SSD test show normal speeds under the SATA 3Gbps bandwidth levels.

Bit Baby

I were experiencing same issues of Windows 10 freezing after few minutes of OS running on my new SSD MX300 725gb since yesterday (when I passed the OS HDD data to the new SSD).

I tried the most of the suggestions there without a resolution of the freezing issue.
Unistall Acronis --> doesn't worked
Updated all Driver where possible --> done where possible but none
Switch back to IDE mode vice AHCI --> done but none, freezing came up again
Register changes (suggested by other sites) --> done but none

and a bunch of more stuff tried yesterday night without success that I do not remember anymore.

Finally this evening I got the solution for my case, it was easy and stupid...
I've an Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard with 6 X Sata Controller (brown color) and 2 X Sata Controller (beige color).
I used a Sata cable connected to one of the beige connector... and that was my issue.

Brown connectors uses Intel Z87 Chipset and use latets drivers I installed from Asus/Intel sites.
Beige connectors uses a different chipset with standard microsoft drivers (from 2006)... and probably those was not fully compatible with my new SSD.

Thus I simply changed the Sata ports usage in order to place my SSD with the OS into on one of the Brown ports.
Once done Windows was not able to load up anymore as he was applying wrong drivers on boot used up to the previous power on action on the beige connector.
To fix it I just loaded Windows in safe mode, I opened the control panel for the devices and I unistalled ALL SATA drivers.

After it I reboot the computer and windows loaded automatically all drivers correctly starting up without issues.

Then I updated drivers to the latest version for the Intel Chipset using the Asus drivers available in the Support part of their site.

Once done all those stuff Windows 10 seems to work properly without any freeze since 4 hours! I also reinstalled Acronis (that I use for backup management).

Hoping this may help someone else with an issue like the mine,
Enjoy SSD world!

Ciao!
Andrea

Bit Baby

Hi,

I bought a Crucial MX300 for my Acer V Nitro laptop.  Upon cloning my windows 10 disk using EaseUS Todo Backup Free, Windows 10 would always stop responding anywhere between 5-30 mins.  I tried everything to fix it, including updating the firmware on the mx300, enabling Momentum Cache on the drive, error checking, typing in that ridiculously long script thing into powershell, using sfc /scannow, the other /restorehealth or whatever they were, everything.  Nothing worked, kept freezing.  I then found a forum post where a lot of users reccomended trying Macrium Reflect Free to clone my Windows 10 HDD to my SSD.  Worked like a charm, drive feels even more responsive now and it's solved the freezing problem.  Seems like it might be something in the way that acronis/easus clones the drive that the mx300 doesn't like.  My solution was using Macrium Reflect Free, nothing else worked. 

Binary Boss

I'm not sure about EaseUS. Only because right now, we use EaseUS ToDO Backup Workstation 10.0 on our warehouse comptuer that has the Crucial MX300 525GB drive and it works great after I updated teh SATA AHCI controller driver and also applied the latest MX300 firmware.  However, if you were using the free version of EaseUS, then I don't know if that was the issue there either.

Bit Baby

I think my scenario being a laptop has something to do wi...

I think my scenario being a laptop has something to do with it. I couldn't find any updated sata drivers when I was having the issue.