Crucial MX300 SDD - Windows 10 Freezing (HELP ME)

Bit Baby

Re: Crucial MX300 SDD - Windows 10 Freezing (HELP ME)

Hi All, 

Just want to confirm. I also had a freeze problem. I did not had to wait long for it to occur. In my case, I was trying to copy my "data drive" content to the SSD from the old HDD. I have split my SSD into 2 partitions. Where the first partition was "cloned" from the HDD, and the second Data partition, I'm manually copying to after booting up from the SSD.

In my case after copying a GB or so continuously, the drive would lock up. If I copied small quantities of files, the drive would not lock up. Also when the drive lock up and I hard reset the laptop, all the files in the folder that was being copied would be gone. Not even leaving the files that was copied already in the batch.

Uninstalling Acronis True Image HD, and also (since the machine hanged after Acronis tried to restart to complete the uninstall and I had to hard restart again), I had to manually stop the Acronis service that did not uninstall. I basically set the service to "Disabled".

Now my hangs is gone, and I can copy all my data with no problem.

Bit Baby

I just wanted to thank you for the advice. I had two computers with newly installed Crucial mx300 SSD drives and I was getting the FREEZE as you described. Once I uninstalled ACRONIS the problem has gone away. Thanks agin for your help.

Bit Baby

Thanks JAMESFOH31!   I think this was EXACTLY my problem.  Such a relief after days of Windows 10 being useless with freezes, no error messages, just stops.  Ctl-alt-del does not work and as others have said mouse cursor movement still looks good.  If a process was running that showed spinning circles, they would continue to spin forever.

I strongly believe that uninstalling Acronis (quickly before the next freeze) did the trick.  But to be completely accurate, I also installed Crucial Executive and updated the BIOS on the SSD.  I have Crucial MX300 525GB SATA 2.5" SSD.  There was one BIOS update.  I have now run several of the tasks that I could not get to complete before, so I believe this is FIXED!

VERY SAD that Cruscial tells you to use Acronis to accomplish the installation and that software had me on the verge disaster.

BTW, I earlier set hard disk not to sleep as suggested by others, that made no difference.

Binary Boss

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/
Is the gold standard disk guru
Bit Baby

Hi Bogdan,

Ive been having the same trouble as everyone else in this thread, but none of the solutions have been working out for me.
Laptop is ASUS N550J with i7, Crucial mx300 525gb, and Toshiba 1tb HDD

I've tried switching to IDE but that didn't work. The storage controller in device manager only has "Standard SATA AHCI Controller" listed and I'm now sure how to find new drivers for it, it doesn't say if it's Intel or not.
Another issue is that when I tried to activate momentum cache in Crucial Storage Executive, it said it was inactive. So, I tried uninstalling, restarting, and reinstalling but for some reason, it did not fully uninstall so I had to delete the program files folder, but whenever I try to reinstall it, it tries to "upgrade from a previous installation" and the program doesn't run.

And yes, I have uninstalled Acronis.
Any help would be much appreciated, this is driving me crazy!!
JEDEC Jedi

You have an i7 so it's Intel based rather than AMD so you should be able to use Intels Rapid Storage Tech drivers.  Some newer versions won't work on older hardware but there should be something there that works.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

[ Edited ]

Abang02, I believe you could try 12.8.0.1016 driver (I like that driver, it is reliable on the systems where I use it), or newer versions up to 14.8.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/55005/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-

Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Bit Baby

Bobdan, your pointer to this legacy driver did the trick for me. Nothing else helped at all. So I guess if all you see in Device Manager is that old 2006 generic SATA driver you will be out of luck until you install an Intel driver that has some idea how to connect with SSD's! Thanks very much!

bogdan wrote:

Abang02, I believe you could try 12.8.0.1016 driver (I like that driver, it is reliable on the systems where I use it), or newer versions up to 14.8.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/55005/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-

Bit Baby

Bobdan, your pointer to this legacy driver did the trick for me. Nothing else helped at all. So I guess if all you see in Device Manager is that old 2006 generic SATA driver you will be out of luck until you install an Intel driver that has some idea how to connect with SSD's! Thanks very much!

bogdan wrote:

JEDEC Jedi

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the information. I have suggested the driver version that I believed should have been working with Abang02's system. But there are other good drivers of course, newer or older. And generic MS driver isn't actually 2006 old - but it is generic and one-for-all, not necessarily best-for-all ;-)

Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!