Crucial MX500 500GB M.2 (CT500MX500SSD4) Coil Whine on ASUS ROG Strix GL703GE

SOLVED
Highlighted
Bit Baby

Crucial MX500 500GB M.2 (CT500MX500SSD4) Coil Whine on ASUS ROG Strix GL703GE

I replaced my M.2 with a Crucial MX500 and now the laptop is making a ton of annoying noise.
I can't tell if it's coming directly from the drive or if it's somewhere on the motherboard that's doing it.

When I remove the drive and boot from a USB there is no noise.

I already threw out my old drive because I'm stupid.

Any ideas? Drivers, firmware, everything up to date.

2 Replies
Crucial Employee

Re: Crucial MX500 500GB M.2 (CT500MX500SSD4) Coil Whine on ASUS ROG Strix GL703GE

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue with your new Crucial MX500. There are unfortunately not any drivers or firmware updates that will fix this type of problem. If you are hearing noise come from the drive itself, this would be something that we would just need to get replaced for you.

If you have any external enclosures that can accommodate the M.2 form factor, you can try turning on the system while the SSD is external to see if we can locate the sound better. You would not be able to boot into Windows while the drive is external but we can at least see if the noise follows the drive. The MX500 Series of SSD will come with a 5 year warranty from the date of purchase and we are more than happy to get you taken care of with any warranty replacements. If you would like to proceed with the replacement of your drive, we would ask that you contact us directly using the information that I have provided below.

Toll-free for US & Canada: 800-336-8915
Phone: 1-208-363-5790
Email: crucial.support@micron.com Hours (MST): Monday - Friday: 7am - 6pm

Crucial_Ryan, Micron CPG Support, US

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France | Global
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

Re: Crucial MX500 500GB M.2 (CT500MX500SSD4) Coil Whine on ASUS ROG Strix GL703GE

Thank you for the reply. Fortunately the noise has subsided. I'm not really sure why. It shows up mildly when the drive is under load but it's completely tolerable at this point. If it gets bad again later I'll connect it externally and see if it is the primary cause, and if so, I'll give Crucial a call to see if I can an RMA.

Thanks again.