Crucial Storage Executive and Over-Provisioning

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

Crucial Storage Executive and Over-Provisioning

Hello everybody,

I have faced some tricky situation with setting OP within Storage Executive on a system SSD. Since Windows 10 Microsoft recommends to place Recovery partition at the end of the partitions set (System, EFI, User, Recovery) in order to simplify any further manipulations whenever they need to extend it. This partition is semi-hidden - has no letter assigned to it. At the same time Storage Executive in order to handle a trailing spare area as OP requires that the last partition before it has to have a letter. Finally, Storage Executive either needs some named partiton before OP and after Recovery or marks Recovery partition as OP by itself (since the last named before it is volume C). Which is not good at all, I guess.

Does anybody know why Storage Executive has such a strictly requirements for setting OP? Why just not to use whatever it has on hands? Maybe some ideas how to workaround this?

6 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Crucial Storage Executive and Over-Provisioning

dpokrovsky wrote:

Does anybody know why Storage Executive has such a strictly requirements for setting OP? Why just not to use whatever it has on hands? Maybe some ideas how to workaround this?

You could use Flexcap instead which is new to the current version of Storage Exec.  It basically shrinks the drive (as it appears to the host computer) to provide over-provisioning, without using partitioning.  That way you'll have overprovisioning and your recovery partition will still be the last partition.  It does require wiping the drive to set this up though.

Alternatively, all you could really do is create the smallest partition you can after recovery (and before OP space) and give that tiny partition a drive letter I guess?

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Thank you for a good point! It seems like a quite safe approach. The only concern I had is how I could do this on a system drive while Storage Executive works from full Windows installation. I found that there is a command line utility msecli.exe in SE folder which can be used to do FlexCap settings from Windows PE environment. So this is a real option.

BTW, tiny visible partition is so annoying,  no-go for me with that .

JEDEC Jedi

dpokrovsky wrote:

BTW, tiny visible partition is so annoying,  no-go for me with that .

Ha ha, yeah it'd get me too. Smiley Very Happy

I'm afraid I've never actually used FlexCap.  I'm not actually sure if anyone posting on here has?  It's pretty new and I only even knew it existed when someone posted to ask what it was!

Having said that, there's a more commonly used option which also wipes the disc and refuses to do it to the system drive - PSID Revert.  All we're really able to suggest for that is to hook the drive up to another Windows install as a secondary drive and install Storage Exec into that other install.  This does unforunately obviously require you to either have another computer or the time to install WIndows to another drive.

I've used it from the command line but if you google for

micron storage executive manual

the second hit looks to be a manual for the command line interface

Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

[ Edited ]

What's the difference between setting up over-provisioning in Crucial Storage Executive, and simply leaving unallocated space at the end of the drive?

Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

I'm not actually sure myself.  I only ever use the drives built in overprovision.

Want to be a Super User?

I must say thing are a little unclear. I'd actually like to find out whether that unallocated space should be formatted. I've manage to move it to the end of the drive, seems to be used but indications in SE is not very clear. Also this FlexCap sounds interesting, but I don't have it and each zip I download is broken.