Crucial Storage Executive

Memory Leak Geek

Re: Crucial Storage Executive

[ Edited ]

targetbsp wrote:

It does?  It didn't appear to for me.  I do already have Java but only the 32 bit version and I installed the 64 bit Crucial softwatre...

[edit]

Oh I see, it uses a copy from its own folder rather than installing one.  That shouldn't be much of a security risk should it (as long as your trust the Crucial software you just installed*) as nothing else will be using it?  I have other programs that do that with ancient copies of Java.

*and you are giving it admin permission so... Smiley Very Happy

Depending on the implementation, anyone with access to port 8080 could exploit it.

IMO, instead of shipping with its own JRE, Crucial should list java as a system prerequisite, and the system classpath should be used.

Memory Leak Geek

[ Edited ]

Does this actually provide anything that cannot be achieved by using third party apps or utilities already available from Crucial?

JEDEC Jedi

[ Edited ]

chinea01 wrote:

Does this actually provide anything that cannot be achieved by using third party apps or utilities already available from Crucial?

Not really.  But people moaned about having to use third party utilities. Smiley Very Happy  Now they have the choice. Smiley Happy

I guess people like something official.  And having all the utils in one is convenient.  But its use is optional.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

boogeyman wrote:

Ok so it doesn't support the M4's. I was able to update my firmware via ISO.

Does the software plan to support your future SSD releases? In other words will this software continue to be developed into the future?

Thanks

It does support the two upcoming drives at least.

Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

[ Edited ]

"No Drives Found

No supported drives were found in the system.

This may be because you are running on Windows with all your drives configured in a RAID array, which is currently not supported."

Just downloaded 64 bit for a Win8.1 Asus Ultrabook w/ an MX100 250 GB.

What's up? Why is it saying this? 

I do have an SSD Cache, 24GB Kingston, attached to the MB. I don't think the Cache is considered, or driven by, a RAID controller, or Driver. It is a Windows Driver.

The Crucial is Disk 0. The Cache is Disk 1.

I was hoping to use this program...But it won't see my, relatively new, Crucial MX100 SSD?

Do I just have to reboot?  Trying that now. REBOOT, did nothing. Same message.

Smiley Frustrated

JEDEC Jedi

Arjai wrote:

What's up? Why is it saying this? 

Historically, Crucials Windows updater has had trouble identifying drives under selected configs.  There's such a vast variety of PC's (obviously) that occasionally some bit of hardware or software is just going to get in the way.  This is why the manual firmware updates are handy as they run from an environment where much less can get in the way of them.

And this is the very first version of this program.  So all you can really do I suspect* is report your conmfig (which you have) and wait and see if a future version of the software can be updated to support it.

*it is possible there are some tricks crucial know to make it work on troublesome setups but until they've been said on here at least once, us non-Crucial guys won't know them just yet!

Want to be a Super User?
Memory Leak Geek

[ Edited ]

Dear lord. This is a prime example of how to NOT engineer low-level SYS UTILITY software.

1. Make it all so bloated that the download / installer is >150MB in size. Check.

2. Even better, installed it occupies >200MB on target drive. Make it not portable. Check.

3. Implement it in JAVA with a plethora of dependencies and third party library bundles. Check.

4. Even better, implement it as a Web application and run it on locally installed and operated Web server. Check.

5. Make it overly colored and graphics packed to stun the user base and to compensate for the lack of useful features. Check.

6. Pick a fancy, bad-**bleep** name like Storage Executive. Check.

Insanity, I am lost for words. Sorry. Will happily pass this one.

And for the record, it fails to detect my MX100 256GB connected to SATA 3gbit Intel ICH9 AHCI port, on Windows 7 64-bit.

Memory Leak Geek

Thank you. I have deleted it (all I hope!).

JEDEC Jedi

chinea01 wrote:

Thank you. I have deleted it (all I hope!).

It has an uninstaller. Smiley Wink

Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

[ Edited ]

Wintermute wrote:

5. Make it overly colored and graphics packed to stun the user base and to compensate for the lack of useful features. Check.

I would say that was exactly its job.  I doubt techy types like you (based on your post) and I are its intended user base.  We're content using the myriad of the disjointed, archaic software solutions we're used to!  Old versions of parted magic before it went paid, boot iso's for firmware updates, smart utilities, third party psid reset tools. Most of these are not trivial to use for the average user and nor do they know where to find them until we tell them.  This does all of that in one simple friendly package.  I could give this to my Dad, who can use a computer perfectly well and he could suddenly do all this techy stuff that was previously the preserve of us geeks without needing lines of step by step instructions to create and boot into live cd's and such like.  Seems good to me.

I'm not entirely sure about the 'lack of useful features' though.  What else would you have it do?

It is rather large for what it is though!  I'm with you there.  I thought it was 15MB, didn't notice I was a factor of 10 out!

Want to be a Super User?