Crucial Storage Executive

Memory Leak Geek

Re: Crucial Storage Executive

Crucial_Guru wrote:

We have just released the Crucial Storage Executive which can be downloaded from the following link:

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/support-storage-executive

Will there be a Mac version, or something else that makes firmware updates easier for those of us without optical drives?  Apple has all but eliminated optical drives - the only Mac shipping with one is the 13" Macbook Pro which hasn't been updated since 2012.  So if Crucial is going to support Apple users, you need to offer a solution that doesn't rely on optical drives.

Memory Leak Geek

Wintermute wrote:

Dear lord. This is a prime example of how to NOT engineer low-level SYS UTILITY software.

1. Make it all so bloated that the download / installer is >150MB in size. Check.

2. Even better, installed it occupies >200MB on target drive. Make it not portable. Check.

3. Implement it in JAVA with a plethora of dependencies and third party library bundles. Check.

4. Even better, implement it as a Web application and run it on locally installed and operated Web server. Check.

5. Make it overly colored and graphics packed to stun the user base and to compensate for the lack of useful features. Check.

6. Pick a fancy, bad-**bleep** name like Storage Executive. Check.

Insanity, I am lost for words. Sorry. Will happily pass this one.

The size is due to the inclusion of the (massively outdated) JRE.  As I noted earlier, they should be looking for an existing installation of Java, not bundling their own.

The decision to install a local web server is a huge security risk, especially if someone puts their machine in their router DMZ, or has poor wireless security.

I wouldn't be surprised if an exploit is found for this in the not too distant future.

Binary Boss

Add me to the list of the unimpressed.

For a utility, this requires a large download and install.  Plus, it is web based?  Ugh.

To top it all off, it doesn't detect the MX100 512GB installed on either system (Desktop and Laptop) that I tested the software on.

Overall, my experience with Storage Executive hasn't been a good one.

Memory Leak Geek

thegrommit wrote:

The decision to install a local web server is a huge security risk, especially if someone puts their machine in their router DMZ, or has poor wireless security.

I wouldn't be surprised if an exploit is found for this in the not too distant future.

Did you actually try to access the web server over a network connection? It doesn't seem to work. I think it's locked down to localhost access only. I am not sure how this would introduce a security risk to end users in the manner you are stating. Do you have an actual example or valid scenario or just conjecture and assumption? I am very interested in this. Anything concrete and actionable you have on this would be valuable, versus just vague statements.

Memory Leak Geek

Regardless, it's still an asinine implementation. I uninstalled it when I saw the process was still running once I had finished using it.

Memory Leak Geek

[ Edited ]

IamNaN wrote:

thegrommit wrote:

Did you actually try to access the web server over a network connection? It doesn't seem to work. I think it's locked down to localhost access only. I am not sure how this would introduce a security risk to end users in the manner you are stating. Do you have an actual example or valid scenario or just conjecture and assumption? I am very interested in this. Anything concrete and actionable you have on this would be valuable, versus just vague statements.

Key word is "risk".  Running a web server on your local machine that relies on a outdated JRE with known vulnerabilities is risky.  If you want to take that risk, go ahead.

Granted, I have no idea how secure it is, as it's no longer installed.  Also, I wouldn't disclose exploit information on a public forum even if I had that info.

Bit Baby

Ok, can somebody from Crucial explain something for me please?

I installed the Storage Executive 64 bits on my Windows 7 64 Bits. It's ultra slow and most of the time when i try to do anything with it, it states "Internal Error".

I tried with Firefox 35, IE 11 64 bits, i tried anything and it's always slow or completely failing.

Is there a mistery and magical installation thing to do in order for it to work?

Thanks

Community Manager

Hi Incanus, Thanks for your message. I have looked in to this for you and we don't have any underlining issues with Storage Executive. Storage ​Executive will open in the default browser as standard. If you do want to use it in a different browser, you can copy and paste the URL into your chosen browser. I would recommend trying this to check and see if it's down to that specific browser version. Thanks for your feedback and I will personally pass this on to the design team for you.
Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
VAD
Kilobyte Kid

Wintermute wrote:

Dear lord. This is a prime example of how to NOT engineer low-level SYS UTILITY software.

1. Make it all so bloated that the download / installer is >150MB in size. Check.

2. Even better, installed it occupies >200MB on target drive. Make it not portable. Check.

3. Implement it in JAVA with a plethora of dependencies and third party library bundles. Check.

4. Even better, implement it as a Web application and run it on locally installed and operated Web server. Check.

5. Make it overly colored and graphics packed to stun the user base and to compensate for the lack of useful features. Check.

6. Pick a fancy, bad-**bleep** name like Storage Executive. Check.

Insanity, I am lost for words. Sorry. Will happily pass this one.

And for the record, it fails to detect my MX100 256GB connected to SATA 3gbit Intel ICH9 AHCI port, on Windows 7 64-bit.

+150

150mb, web server, java - wut? This is plain terrible in general and in 2015 in particular. Nowdays, with mulitple manufacturers (first tier and OEMs) competing for the end users money with nearly identical drives, software becomes a differentiator. This software is total <censored> compared to Samsung and SanDisk. 

Hindsight is always 20/20, but I should've have gone for those↑ brands instead of Crucial [MX100] that doesn't even have an official utility for SMART. 

JEDEC Jedi

VAD wrote:

Hindsight is always 20/20, but I should've have gone for those↑ brands instead of Crucial [MX100] that doesn't even have an official utility for SMART. 

This *is* the official utility for SMART...

Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!