Crucial Storage Executive

VAD
Kilobyte Kid

Re: Crucial Storage Executive

Right, in January 2015 Crucial has finally released the official utility for SMART - 150mb, java, web-server Smiley Happy And given how unofficial utilities are frowned upon, I imagine you will now tell users to install this monster just to get SMART values.

I'm sorry, but this baby should've been killed before it was born. You're just clogging your users PCs with bloatware and opening doors for malware. JAVA is one of the primary attack vectors, and no matter how they try to keep it updated, it's out of date on most PCs (see Microsoft SIRs, Kaspersky reports, etc).

I don't recommend installing JAVA unless there's a production need for it. It's really sad that Crucial is forcing this <censored> upon its users for getting SMART values. 

JEDEC Jedi

Unofficial utitlities are only a problem where they don't support the drives SMART layout.  CrystalDiskInfo is often recommended on this forum as it's updated frequently for new drives.  Be sure to do a custom install and untick the adware though (or use the portable version)

Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

VAD
Kilobyte Kid

Thanks for the tip. Yes, updating is the key Smiley Happy

Bit Baby

+1

After installing on Win 8.1 Pro x64, IE and Firefox would no longer download.  Uninstalled and re-installed both browsers but problem persisted.

Tried to uninstall, but uninstaller froze after checking if client was running.

Ended up reformatting entire MX100 512GB and reinstalling all software, 2 days downtime!!

DO NOT INSTALL STORAGE EXECUTIVE!!  YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!!

JEDEC Jedi

Worked for me on that exact same config.

Bit Baby

Hello Crucial_Junket,

Thanks for your answer. I'm searching why it's so unresponsive and buggy on my system.

I have Avira free antivirus and Comodo free Firewall installed. Could any of these two applications mess with Storage Executive? Should i check files related to localhost?

Yesterday, i tried to updragde my new Crucial M550 to firmware MUW2 with Storage Executive and after multiple try, i succeded to make it "see" the new available firmware version but it didn't succeed to upgrade the SSD.

The PC restarted but the firmware version was still the original one (MUW1). The SSD was connected with an usb adapter: could it be the reason why it didn't work?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

JEDEC Jedi

Incanus wrote:

The PC restarted but the firmware version was still the original one (MUW1). The SSD was connected with an usb adapter: could it be the reason why it didn't work?

You can only upgrade the firmware via a sata connection

Bit Baby

Ok, thank you. I used a SATA 3 connexion, and the firmware iso on an usb key and it worked (after messing a looong time with the UEFI/legacy options of my mobo Smiley Very Happy ).

Still having problems with Storage Executive, but it's for another day.

Kilobyte Kid

Installed it...upon trying to run it my PC froze completely and I had to force a reboot. 

Tried running it in safe mode with network drivers enabled...same result. 

Running Win 8.1 64 bit and installed the 64 bit version of your tool. The Windows install was also fresh, so there isn't even any software present that could negatively interact with it.

JEDEC Jedi

[ Edited ]

Is Crucial going to release linux version of Storage Executive? Micron released that tool for Linux 32-bit and Linux 64-bit systems so it is a little bit puzzling that there is no Linux downloads on Crucial site.

The other question is can Micron Storage Executive be used with Crucial drives? I can imagine some Linux users will find the tool on Micron site and will try to use it with Crucial drives Smiley Wink Would that be safe?

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions